What is the appeal of American Idol?

I don't get how it is sooo popular and people talk about it like it's the only thing they can remember from TV. Most of the singers seem to think that making faces and singing wobbly, exagerated notes make them good or something, I think they suck. It's like more people know about what goes on American Idol than real news or current events. Sad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Entertainment

• I hate American Idol!
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 3:42 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• At the start of the season I think people watch it to see all of the really bad singers. After they pick the top 20 or whatever it is people watch because they usually end up with a couple really good singers and we want to see what they will do next. It's also amusing to see what Simon will say next.
    Anonymous

• Anon 1:47 hit the nail on the head! I use to hate it too and think anyone who watched couldn't find anything better to do. Then I started watchng because it was fun to see the really bad singers who thought they were outstanding! Haven't watched the last few episodes though so i really don't know what's going on so I don't think I'm a complete loser....: )
    Anonymous

• Is there anybody here old enough to remember The Gong Show? Sort of the same premise back in the 70s, but with bad hairdos and plaid leisure suits.
    Anonymous

• I like watching the new season because I like the idea of seeing the singers from the very first and then seeing how they progress and eventually win. It is kind of sad to see those who think they are the best singers ever and actually are very bad. And a little amusing to see those who know they are bad but wanted to try anyway. I agree with the OP that screaming and warbling do not a good singer make. I guess I must be showing my age because I'd like to see some good crooners - somebody who could sing a pleasant, hum along song. Somebody that isn't forcing their voice but who has a good enough voice to just sing.

Answer by Bmat at 4:44 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I watch it like I watch a car accident, YOU CAN'T HELP IT!, I also love that my 10 yr old can look at me and say, Mom she/he is tone deaf huh? I give then kudos for trying but I have never bought a CD of any American Idol. I did enjoy Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls and her performance last night. (Seeing as her mother, brother and nephew were murdered) that girl is the definition of class and composure!
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:20 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I usually only watch the auditions
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 9:38 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• i like it because now a days, you can't tell if someone can ACTUALLY sing. Their voices are manipulated in the studio to make it sound good. You then hear them sing live and they sound like petrified dog crap. On Ameircan Idol, those people have to stand there during the audition and sing without music, instruments or backups. You can really hear if they have talent or not!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:50 AM on Feb. 10, 2009