Did you fear the birth part of becoming a mom?

It occurs to me that as many people have walked the face of the Earth is how "routine" this experience is. As "normal" as sex really in that it is biologically meant to happen. Yet most women today have HUGE fears about it. Did/do you fear labor and delivery? Why or why not? What do you think would have helped ease that fear?

CooksWife

Asked by CooksWife at 3:47 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• no i was more afraid that i wouldnt even get that far!!! i had SUCH bad anxiety issues
    Anonymous

• sorry accidently clicked the anon button when i submitted it
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 3:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• No, I was not afraid of labor and delivery. I had more fears about not knowing what to do when the baby actually got here. But just like labor, it comes naturally.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• It's natural to fear the unknown. You only have so much control when it comes to childbirth, you can't for-see how you will react to the pain (which in itself is a big fear), you have no control over how long your labor will be, there are many different complications that could occur and there's always the possibility that you won't be able to do it naturally and will end up with a c-section which many women are terrified of. What helped me personally with any fears I had was lots of reading and talking to other moms, I wanted as much info about every aspect of pregnancy and childbirth that I could get. It helped but I still didn't have control over everything which I think is where most women's fear stem from.
    Anonymous

• I guess I'm a masochist or something because I was really excited about the birth. I mean, I was nervous about the unknown and how I would handle things, but I was looking forward to the challenge. Even though things didn't go as planned for me, it only made me that much more eager for the next experience. I know, I must have loose screws, but it's true!
    theonecilla

Answer by theonecilla at 3:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I was scared, it was my first baby. But I guess I was more nervous than scared everything was fast, luckily I had a good labor. I'll probably be scared and nervous again for whenever I give birth again.

xocyncyn

Answer by xocyncyn at 4:03 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Women don't give it a whole lot of thought today- or they seem overwhelmed with fear. It's kinda interesting really. Thanks for the input ladies... I really want to see where people are coming from :)
    I didn't know about CM until well after the birth of my first son- this would have been a great resource. I was VERY afraid. I was afraid like the pp mentioned because of all the unknowns that vary from person to person and mostly I was afraid because I knew it was going to be the beginning of a totally different adventure about which I knew NOTHING. I was afraid my son would be huge and I was afraid I would die during delivery and leave the man I loved alone with the child I loved... Weird I know. But I have been deeply blessed to enjoy both their company, plus another, for over two years now :) Most everything I feared was unfounded. I don't know exactly where the fear came from, but I have a few hunches.
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 4:03 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I feared it in the beginning of my pregnancy. Just fear of the unknown and probably watched a little too much Baby Story on TLC. But by the end of my pregnancy I had no fear....I just wanted the baby out! And when my water broke, I was excited. It didn't go how I'd hoped though. Hopefully this time will though.
    Kimpossible

Answer by Kimpossible at 4:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• After looking at the positive pregnancy test, my first reaction was excitement followed by fear. I do not tolorate pain very well and I was very afraid of the labor and delivery part. But during the pregnancy, little by little, I seemed to overcome this fear. Part of it was I learned more and more about what actually happens during labor and delivery and part of it was because I had to overcome so much during my pregnancy that I just didn't have time to fear.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Imagine IF:
    All throughout your life you'd never once heard anything negative about childbirth; that it hurt, there are dangers, that you can tear, etc.
    That you have only heard labor is big and powerful and you work with it.
    That by walking, standing, squating, moaning, dancing you can wriggle & wiggle your baby down into your hands~ easily.

Imagine if this was all you knew. You would probably have a different perception.
    For many women in the world (now and through history), this IS their understanding! :-D They have no (or very little) fear. Their discomfort is minor, the word "pain" may not even factor in!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2009