How do you respond to times of weak faith?

I mean within yourself. Maybe you don't know what I'm talkng about. Let me clarify...

I have periods of days, weeks, or months where I feel really connected, plugged in, and aware of all the sacred gifts around me. In those periods, it's easy to feel full of faith.

But then there are the down times, when I'm unplugged and introverted, and not feeling even a hint of sacredity (is that a word?). I know these down times are necessary for spiritual development, like winter or like a caterpillar's coccoon. But they are also uncomfortable and I like them to pass as quickly as possible. However, I find that doing things to try to force that harmoniously spiritual feeling (like reading spiritual books or attending spiritual functions) is fruitless and only makes me feel like a failure.

Does anyone know what I'm babbling about here? What do you do when you feel unplugged from God or Oneness or whatever word you use?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Maybe you don't do anything. Maybe you just let it be what it is, and let time pass. Maybe faith and spiritual connectedness just naturally ebbs and flows like the tide. If it's fruitless to try to change it, perhaps you should just stop trying to change it, and instead work on getting more comfortable.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:02 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I tend to go through this from time to time. It's like my spirituality goes to sleep or something!

What I do at that time is meditate. I reflect on the times where I felt the Divine (by whatever name you give It). I remind myself of the times where it wasn't my imagination and how others feel it too.

I also at that time ask myself WHY I don't feel it. Sometimes it's a simple answer like "too much violence in the world" or something. I sort of talk to myself when I figure it out. For example: Goddess (or whoever you believe in) isn't responsible for the misery. The people committing the crimes are. Everyone has a choice in how they behave. All I can do is create sacred space around me and try to show love whenever I can. I can only focus on what I actually can do and pray that it spreads to others.

*hugs* Hope that helps.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 4:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I think I know what you're saying. I have times where I feel very uplifted and a strong closeness with God, but then there are times where I feel so far from him and lonely. What helps is prayer, always pray and talk to the Lord, and keep doing the right things to stay on the right path.
    Anonymous

• Yes, when things are going really bad and I have prayed my heart out. I try to have faith, but sometimes I feel that no one is listening. I just try to remind myself that there are bigger problems than mine that are being handled. I also try to remember that these times are molding me and in the long run making me a stronger person. I sometimes take a break from my faith too. Sometimes you have to help yourself and not depend on a higher being helping you.
    If you find yourself constantly questioning your faith, even not in hard times, then maybe you need look further into what you believe in. Research and keep your mind open. You will find your way.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 4:06 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I try not to dwell on it or get myself worked up about it. It's normal to have ups and downs. It is helpful to pray honestly about it and to read the Bible, even if I don't feel like it. Also remember that feelings can be decieving and are not everything. What we do regardless of how we feel is the more important thing, I think.
    Anonymous

• When I am disconnected I go to the river.

I love nature and especially bodies of water, it centers me....sitting by the river calms my system and helps me clear my mind and my heart. 

I am able to see why I am having the feelings I am, work through them and redirect my thoughts appropriately.

When I can't get to the river I usually lock myself in my bathroom.  I turn off the lights, light candles, play music and try to relax....it takes a little longer (and can be more difficult to focus if the kids are particularly demanding and wanting in) but it can have the same effect.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 4:12 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• With me personally, these times are usually a result of sin in my life that has drawn me away from God. The distance and disconnection/discomfort is what eventually leads me to ask God "What do you want me to get from this, what do you want me to learn?, open my eyes to the reason for this distance?" He always answers......I don't always like the answer, but He answers. These are the times in my life where I feel the most conviction and you're right, they do indeed help you to grow.......unless you ignore Him.
    Anonymous

• I understand. I go through those kinds of times too. They are very trying. I feel God is so far away and I'm all alone. What helps to bring me back is prayer, prayer and more prayer, even when I don't feel like he is listening, because I know (deep down inside I know) that he is. (((HUGS)))
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 5:06 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• But a Christian’s faith is not static, but it grows. (2Th 1:3) Hence, the request of Jesus’ disciples, “Give us more faith,” was very appropriate, and he did provide them the foundation for increased faith. He supplied them with greater evidence and understanding on which to base their faith.—Lu 17:5. faith cannot be taken for granted, because lack of faith is ‘the sin that so easily entangles one.’ To maintain a firm faith requires putting up a hard fight for it, resisting men who could plunge one into immorality, combating the works of the flesh, avoiding the snare of materialism, shunning faith-destroying philosophies and traditions of men, and, above all, looking “intently at the Chief Agent and Perfecter of our faith, Jesus.”—Heb 12:1, 2; Jude 3, 4; Ga 5:19-21; 1Ti 6:9, 10; Col 2:8.
    I hope this helps you to look for ways to build up your Faith.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 5:14 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I praise God and pray. Not the down-on-my-knees-heart-to-Heaven kind of prayer, but the honest-about-everything kind. I praise Him whether I "feel" like it or not.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:32 PM on Feb. 9, 2009