Lactose intolerant???

My 13 month old son was on Similac sensitive til he was a year old. I weaned him off formula totally by Dec. 30th. On Friday January 23rd he came down with the flu..diarrhea and vomiting. Finally on Tues 26th it seemed like he was getting over it. The rest of our family got the flu Mon and had it for 24 hours but not the diarrhea part. Then Thursday 28th he was back to it. Took him to the ER and they said he is alot smaller and can't get over it as fast as we can. So Friday again he seemed alot better. Slowly through the week the diarrhea started back up again. His diarrhea is a pale yellow creamy liquid consistancy, he is on the most part either a a little fussy or just wants to be cuddled (which isn't like him). So today I started researching it myself since I wasn't getting answers from doc and it looks like it could be lactose intolerance. My question is would it take a few weeks to a month for the intolerance to show up?

breashaymommy

Asked by breashaymommy at 4:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Sometimes when toddlers get sick they get lactose intolerant for a short amount of time. I would cut it out of his diet and try again in a few weeks. My daughter is lactose intolerant and I knew when I was breastfeeding.

Also, sometimes they get something called toddler diarrhea which is just diarrhea that won't go away. Have you tried the BRAT diet? Bananas, rice, apples, toast, carrots and potatoes. Crackers are okay too.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 4:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2009