how do you moms do it?

i am a new mom of twins and last night my boys were sound asleep and all of a sudden we hear a gurgiling noise my son xander spit up so bad it was coming out of his nose and eye ducts it was so scarey i have yet to go to sleep because i have been watching them to make sure they dont do it again how do you still get sleep when you are scared for their lives? if we hadnt been awake...i mean he couldnt breath at all.. after i had him all cleaned up and all the spitup sucked out of him i washed his face with a cold cloth just to hear him cry to reassure myself he was still breathing...i was so scared...i just want to be compleatly sure they are safe while i am sleeping...what to i do?

TwinBoyz_09

Asked by TwinBoyz_09 at 4:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Monitor turned way up.
    Anonymous

• they sleep right next to my side of the bed they are only 3 weeks old...i dont even want to think of them being put in another room....
    TwinBoyz_09

Answer by TwinBoyz_09 at 4:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I agree. Have the monitor all the way up. Also there are monitors that have cameras built into them. So not only can you hear what's happening, but with the push of a button you can see it too.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 4:11 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• That is really all you can do then. It will get easier with time. As they get older you will worry less about stuff like this. Just take one day at a time and have faith.
    Anonymous

• I was always concerned about spit up while my dd was asleep even though they say not to be. I bought a crib positioner and would put her on her side to sleep. Also, a monitor helps in the beginning too when they're that small. I still sleep with the monitor on but very low so I only hear if my dd cries.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 4:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• i had a similar experience. my son (back in may) was really sick and had been running a fairly high temperature. he went to sleep that night in his room and shortly my husband and i went to sleep too. i dont know why-maybe it was instinct-but i woke up to check on him and his fever was 105 degrees!! he was lathargic (sp?) and scared me to death. i started screaming for my husband and we took off to the hospital. i got into the habit of putting him in my bed when he was sick but now i cant get him out of my bed! btw-hes 2. but i know what you are goin through momma-its terrifying.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Ah! If they're in your room then don't worry hon. My kids never got sick like that in the middle of the night or anything. But they did sleep with me at first. You'll hear it if something happens.

Have then sleep on their sides. You can buy these pillow things that keep them propped up on their side. That's what I used to do to make sure that if they did spit up/throw up then they wouldn't asperate.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 4:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Thank you all so much! i think i am going to go to the store when my DH gets home and buy two fo those pillows...that sounds like a great thing...THANK YOU ALL!!!
    TwinBoyz_09

Answer by TwinBoyz_09 at 4:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I moved my daughter out of room after the first night because I got no sleep that night due to checking on her every time she made a noise. I slept so much better the next night not being able to hear every sound she made.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 4:16 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• These are the worries of motherhood. I know, it's an awful feeling, and I'm sorry to say it doesn't go away. Or at least, it hasn't for me. As time passes, you'll stop worrying about this and start worrying about something new. My son is 21 months now and every time I pull out of the driveway and leave him with my husband, my mind starts going over all the potentially fatal scenarios that could occur while I'm away (and believe me, by my count this kid is already on his 6th or 7th life). For me, the key to dealing with it has been reminding myself of a few important things: 1. There is actually no such thing as completely safe, no matter what I do. 2. Having a completely terrified and neurotic mother is certainly not good for my kid. 3. The best thing to do is take reasonable measures for safety. And finally... 4. Breathe.
    Anonymous