How much does preschool cost?

We are thinking of enrolling our LO in preschool this fall. What are typical costs for this? We live in MN. We have also looked into "educational daycare". They seem really expensive. tho.

IZs_mommy

Asked by IZs_mommy at 4:22 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Preschool costs vary TREMENDOUSLY depending on where you live; if the program is public, private and/or government subsidized; number of days per week (typically 2-3); if free transportation is available; the number of hours (usually 2-4); if extended daycare is available before/after school; whether or not snacks are provided as well as pull-ups/diapers!

That said, in PA, Preschools here can be anywhere from FREE (after income credit) to over $800 per MONTH (private academies)!

The best thing to do is ask other moms in your area (word of mouth is always best!), check with local community centers, churches (all faiths), and then go through your local phone book. Ask to speak with program director, request a brochure, then schedule a visit (without your child the first time so you can really pay attention to the details).

Most preschools offer an orientation day for the children before the school year begins!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:47 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• wow, I live in Colorado. Both my kids went to pre-school and it weas free.
    flowerchid72

Answer by flowerchid72 at 4:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• It is different everywhere!! Also depends on the preschool itself and what they offer or do not offer. Here I pay 105.00 a month for 3 yr old preschool 2 days a week at 2 and 1/4 hrs. snack and drink provided. It's a Catholic preschool so they also do prayer. They start with free play, have music time, go to an activity room paint, color, try to write, help them learn to put on their coats and zip, crafts, themes for the week etc.
    Anonymous

• My oldest is in UPK and it's free. He'll start kindergarten next year.

My second son goes twice a week right now and it's about $32 per week. (2 1/2 hours per day)

This fall he's going to start at the YMCA in their program. It's not a bad price, until you figure in the price of membership. But then there are other perks with membership, so......It's going to be $75 per month and he'll get to go to the gym twice a week and swim twice a week.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:37 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• We are enrolling Shaylee into the one next to the preschool my mom teaches at and it's $60 a MONTH . 2 days a week 2 hours each day. My mom is good friends with the owner and like I said it's right next to the school my mom teaches in and they take the kids over to use the library and gym.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 5:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2009