My 7th grader is very smart but doing dumb things at school. I am tired of reminding him of homework, assignments, etc. And he still doesn't do what he is supposed to. Help!!!

I feel as if I have to oversee everything he does or he doesn't do it.  Should I just sit back this report period and say nothing and see how he does?  Maybe this will show him that it is up to him?

Lorisc

Asked by Lorisc at 4:24 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Is he just starting to exhibit this behavior is has he always been like this?
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 4:25 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• i did that when i was his age because i was bored w/ the work
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 4:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• It's kinda funny because I have that same problem with my daughter. But I figured I'd stop babying her. Somtimes they depend too much on us to remind them.. The older they get the lazier they become. Some kids have a natural tendency to excel while others need an extra push. As with my daughter... she's an average student. Study habits are a dismal but we're getting better. They have to learn to value education as much as we do. And sometimes when you step back that allows them to maximize their potential... and you be able to see it. Just be sure to communicate that you will not be his reminder... that he will have to start organizing and understanding the importance of homework. So that he does not think you threw him under the bus or don't care about it anymore. I think 7th graders are so excited to be out of elementary.. that they tend to forget what's important.. LEARNING!
    youngmomofms

Answer by youngmomofms at 4:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• 7th grade is a horrible stage, I will be honest. Mine also started slacking in responsibilities and yes homework which is VERY NOT HER. I did learn the more I just expected her to step up to the plate, the more she did not. 7th grade is a very frustrating age for some, they have the attitude it stinks! We ended up having to take away her luxuries until her grades improved, called the school weekly regards to missing homework, if she had any she had to do school work with mom and dad over the weekend and no luxury. Every time we checked no missing assignments and she was on schedule and grades good, she would earn stuff back. At first it didnt work she fought us but eventually she realized we were dead serious.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 1:46 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I would not oversee everything he does. What I did with my son was this. Every day we ask if he has home work. If he says yes then I tell him be better start it. Then we leave it alone. If he does not get it done then he has to deal with the consequences.

As far as projects go we put a note up in his room. It has the date the project is due and what subject it is for. I do not hound him to get it done and if he needs something for it I tell him all he has to do is ask and I will get it.

So far this has been working. his grades are still good even though he does not put in as much effort as I would like. I think at this age they need some freedoms and they need to learn how to start managing their time. If they choose to play with friends and not get there homework done then there are consequences to that choice. If his grades really start to drop then I would start taking things away from him.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:12 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• to the person whose 7th grader is forgetting his assignments, I too have the same problem. What I did is to let the him handle the consquences at school. If he is late with assingments he has to stay for after school with his teachers. Also, have meeting with the teachers, or have them call you or e-mail you. Finally then let the father know, if know father then tell somebody that he really trust and have them say something to him (her).
    allie612

Answer by allie612 at 11:30 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• hes a teenager and now he's starting to develop a personality attitude and starting to smell himself lol you need to be invovled talk to him see whats going with him nothing on Cafemom is going to help you reach out to your son. it's your dilligence to make sure he becomes a successful individual i personally don't recommend sitting back and letting him fail for a whole report period because that makes you look like a slack as as well. can you imagine showing up to that conference? they aqre going to put everything on you. you can't help hi if he doesn't want help but be MOM step in and let him know there are rules and they must be follwed in YOUR house. he doesn't work like a dog to pay bills and keep a roof over his head you and your SO does. good luck!!! you're good cuz when i would have woken up from my coma i would be back on track messing wiht my mom but times have changed and so has parenting
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 3:57 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Talk to the school counselor about it. Talk to the teachers and come up with a game plan. Every child is different. There is not easy button for every child
    cristie1276

Answer by cristie1276 at 4:00 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• don't stay on him, but make it known that if his grades suffer, so will his priviliges. consider this training for later life. if he asses off at work, he won't get the raise. and stick by your guns.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 5:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I too have a 7th grade son that I also have to stay on his ass like white on rice. I say do not back off him because then he's gonna continue to slide downhill. I've taken things away from him like cell, computer, sports, etc. Whatever he likes take it away temporarily til he straightens up. & you as the parent need to stick to your guns when you discipline him. Eventually they learn some just take longer then others. Stay on him, you'll get him right!!!! GOOD LUCK!
    Me2dznb

Answer by Me2dznb at 10:00 PM on Feb. 11, 2009