Can anyone give an accurate account of the life of Jesus?

Using all the details from all the stories provided in the Bible, and leaving nothing out, is it possible to give a complete and accurate, non-conflicting account of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 2:08 PM on Oct. 13, 2012 in Religious Debate

• No
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:20 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• No
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:29 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• No, though I don't think that's the point. I like, and have always believed, even prior to discovering him, Spong's idea that the narratives in the Gospels are the retelling of themes from the Jewish tradition through the person of Jesus, meant to show us the way the authors saw and understood him, his message, etc, not that they were meant as literal events in his life. I love his book, which I'm reading right now, "Liberating the Gospels, Reading the Bible with Jewish Eyes," which goes Gospel by Gospel and shows how they were arranged around the Jewish liturgy and meant to touch on themes and events within the yearly cycle of worship, especially how the Gospel of Luke follows the pattern of the Old Testament by paralleling so closely the narratives found in each book with narratives of his own, based on the timing of the year and where the Jewish community would be in the liturgical cycle.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• "And there are also many other things which Jesus did, which if they were written in detail, I suppose that even the world itself would not contain the books which were written." Gospel of John 21:25
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• well seeing as the Bible doesnt give much info about Jesus from 13 to 30...id say no.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:34 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• lol, hardly!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:54 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• Here's the problem as I see it:  Those who wrote about Jesus' life wrote the stories no less than a quarter of a century after his death (if he actually existed).  The stories become more and more fantastic the farther away from the time the events were to have taken place, the same way other legends grow.  Legends, whether based on an actual historic person or event, or fictional, grow more and more impossible, or perhaps miraculous, the longer they are around.  So, Paul, who wrote his story @ 55 C.E. lists no extraordinary accounts of the death and resurrection, for example, while John, who wrote his @ 90-95 C.E. lists at least six, including the sighting of angels and the bodily ascension, not mentioned by the other writers. 

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 7:49 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• No
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:03 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• faith. you either have it or your don't. and like bg said, its the message that matters, not necessarily the details.
    given the way you worded your question, if you used the Bible as your source (and only that one source, as you asked in your question) you could give complete/accurate account..as complete and accurate as that one source gives. how then could you argue a point? you couldn't. you wouldn't be able to use 'reasoning' of how/when different books of the Bible were written, or by whom and when they knew him, or supposedly knew him. you'd only have that one source to go on.
    kwim?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:19 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• I could not even do that about my own life, nor could my Mother who has known me since birth-I guess I don't understand the point of the question-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 1:41 AM on Oct. 14, 2012