Do your children go to the bus stop or walk to school alone?

I cannot believe anyone would allow their children to walk to school with all the horrific crimes against children that happen everyday. In Killeen TX a couple of years ago there was a guy picking up little girls - molesting and raping them. The police, the newspaper, the school, the local news were practically begging parents not to send children on foot alone. And still 2 more children were picked up & raped because they were alone. The guy was finally caught.

Here in our neighborhood you see little tiny children out waiting for the bus in the dark alone and/or walking to school or from school alone. The school nearby only goes to 5th grade.

I just cannot get that poor child in Colorado out of my mind. She must of been so terrified. It just breaks my heart.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 13, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• I know. I see kids walking all the time. I really can't understand what the parents are thinking. I remember one time my son was waiting for the school bus. I had just had a baby so I was watching from inside. I turned away for a minute and he was gone. I was so scared. I called the school a half hour later, and of course he was there. The bus came while I looked away. I can't believe parents just assume their kids will be fine.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:39 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• My children have walked to school before yes. But that was before we moved. We lived in a small town. There were always parents that you and your kids knew out walking as well.

No... Absolutely not. I drop off and pick my kids up.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 4:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• My kids walk to the bus stop - they are in 6th/7th grade and together, plus the other 3 kids at the bus stop. I live in the very back of a subdivision and everyone keeps tabs on cars coming and going. We have a neighborhood e group where we post suspicious vehicles. I feel very safe.

Answer by missanc at 5:10 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• I have a kindergartner and I drive her to school. Though the PGCS board says she's considered a walker. Not happening. IMO, I can see a responsible teenager walking. but not under the age of 13.
    Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 7:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• Neither. I have to drive them and pick them up. We do not get bus service since we live withing 2 miles of school and because of sh*tty drivers I won't let them walk or ride their bikes alone.  I would not be comfortable letting them walk or ride their bikes to school if they were alone anyhow. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• I let my high schooler walk to the bus stop on his own. It's up the street. He and I spoke about it last night, especially since we live in Denver. And my 8th grader's English teacher lives in the area where Jessica Ridgeway lived.

I drive my 8th and 2nd graders because there is no bus to their school and it's too far on a busy street.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:03 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• I drive my kids to and from school or walk them. They never come and go by themselves.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:34 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• We are in a small town and the only ones who walk to the school are the ones who live right next door to the school.
    We live across the main road from the school and I walk my son to school sometimes but most of the time since I am heading out to work I drop him off.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 5:54 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• My oldest is only in Kindergarten so, of course I drive her to school.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:37 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• i would never let my kids walk alone anywhere. ever. idc how old they are or how responsible i think they are. i trust noone. i would never put my kids in that kind of a situation where they would have to possible fight for their lives.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2012