Plz help me with this , do u think it is right for 4th grade students or for any grade?

this is wat the assigmnet says:

the children should read 25 to 30 min every day. they are required to read a total of 20 books in the school year. the first 10 books are due at the end of january, the next 10 are due in june . A paragraph summary is required for each book. PLUS monthly book report projects will also be given.

now my daughter has 3 books in her back bag she read the first 10 pages from each . and she got the monthy book to start with now and to make a book report for november. is this crazy because my daughter is over whelmed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2012 in General Parenting

• No. This is excellent. This is stuff we had to do when I was a kid. This is good for her and good for the school system. ENCOURAGE HER! A school that actually teaches... I am amazed.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:50 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• m-avi do u believe that kids have a x-mas vacation and activities, the kids will resent reading.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:55 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• meooma wat do u mean by y 3 books?

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:57 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• I think its good. My son would love this since he is an avid reader and has recently taken interest in writing since now (he is in 4th grade too) they read and write short summaries of their books. They were not told how many they had to read but set a goal and than they write summaries if they choose to.

As for breaks and activites children can continue to read and learn during break time and as for activities I believe learning is more important and children should not have more activities they have to give time to than learning.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:00 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• Why is she reading three different books at the same time? Why not finish a book, write a summary, do a book report and then start on a new book? It doesn't sound that bad to me.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:00 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• Homework rule of thumb is 10 minutes for every grade they are in... so as long as the other homework isn't more then 10 minutes or so it's fine. But... the reading of 3 books at a time is not appropriate. Should be one book at a time if they need to write a paragraph on the book. make her a book report template so she knows how to organize the paragraph... also have her write a sentence or two or a 3-4 bullet point outline after reading each night. That will greatly help her when it comes time to write the paragraph!!

If you think it's to much or if it's stressing her out to much talk to the teacher ASAP!!!!!!!!!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:00 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• They won't resent reading. They will learn that reading is fun! The way to teach kids that reading is fun is by making them read, not by letting them pick up a book maybe once a year. This also teaches her about procrastination. It's not like this will take up all her free time. Set an amount of time that you will read and work on the book report every day. It doesn't have to be a large amount of time, either. I don't know how long the books are, but if you work on it every night for like 30 minutes it'll be done before you know it.

Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 6:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• now my daughter has 3 books in her back bag she read the first 10 pages from each .

This will only make things worse.  It's hard to keep plots and story lines straight when reading several books at the same time.  She should be working on one book at a time (two at most if their class has a monthly book assignment). 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• By 4th grade my kids were easily reading at least 20 books a semester, and not just grade level ones. They were reading stuff like Lord of the Rings, Eragon, and Harry Potter. They are still serious readers and keeping them in books that are appropriate and interesting can be a challenge. And their little brother is following in their footsteps.

Make it fun for her. Make a reading log or chart and for every 20 minutes of reading she fills in a block with a sticker or color. And then set a gift for say every 4 or 5 hours complete. It can be something like a manicure or ice cream out with just you. And ask her about what she has just read, telling you will help her remember for her report, which should be done as she finishes.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:08 PM on Oct. 13, 2012

• Books = Learning.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:35 PM on Oct. 13, 2012