What do your children do when they are home?

For those of you who don't homeschool. How do your children spend thier time? And when do you have any time for family?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• No home school. We spend the weekends together at parkes or in the yard. we play board games or video games. we watch movies, or go to movies. We do a lot together! During the week he plays outside while I talk to him through the window cooking dinner. we always watch a movie or at least part of one together before bed time. Next year when the home work starts we will have to see though...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:38 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• we dont home school...this is how our week goes....monday after school they go to their grandmas ( kind of my ex's visitation but they go to grandmas instead) come home at about 8 and do homework and go to bed...Tues...after school the do homework and chores and then dinner and its almost time for bed...wed...scouts, homework, dinner, bball practice, bed...thurs....homework, chores, play out side if the weather is nice, dinner, bed, Fridays chores, play outside, go to Dads second job ( high school bball) or spend night at grandmas.. thats the easy part...soon they will have baseball and soccer to through in there and guitar lessons. There is no time for family time really other then Sunday and sat afternoons its sad but its life
    Rysana

Answer by Rysana at 4:42 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Our family does homeschool but two of our children are going to school as a try it thing. I feel like we don't get any real family time with them. They won't be in school beyond the end of this year, I'm sure. I don't get how parents with kids in public school do it for so long. It must really be hard to find a balance.  ANd kudos to those who find a way!   When they do come home I try to play games with them and talk to them but we only have so much time between homework, cooking and getting ready for bed. I love when my kids are involved in activities but I'm not sure if I should sacrifice the little time I have with them for that. They are gone ALL day anyway. I just don't know. Good Luck!

Anonymous

• its hard no doubt and i have thought about home school...its not for us right now i think the pros out weigh the cons for us. However, i do think finding time with your family is one of the most important things a family can do to keep kids out of trouble...we may not have a lot of time just sitting and hanging out but when do chores together and when we are driving to all the places we go we turn down the radio and talk and we all go to each others events...my kids come to my bball and volleyball games and we all go cheer for which ever kid is playing soccer or football or basketball or baseball at any given time of the year...and we all go to my husbands second job since its a public place and support him doing that. I know it seems like its so crammed there is no time for any quality time ( and maybe there isnt enough quality time in there) but we do our best and we are a very close family.
    Rysana

Answer by Rysana at 5:12 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I don't home school, but I am a stay at home mom. Our week is like this : Monday/Wednesday the kids are in school from 8-3. My 4 year old is in preschool 8-1030. 1150-1235 she has gymnastics at the Y, then she has dance once a week on Wednesdays. Tuesday/Thursday my 2 boys have soccer practice from 5-6. Fridays are free after they get out of school. Saturdays are free, with 2 hours spent at soccer game. Sundays are free, every other SUnday the kids and I go to Military Wives group at church. We spend evenings with them after dinner, either watching a movie or playing games. Weekends we spend at home most of the time, or we may treat them to a day out if they have kept up on their chores and homework. My daughter spends her day (after preschool) playing games, making up stories, taking a nap, and "helping" me make after school treats.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:14 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I don't homeschool, during the week I usually get home from work at the same time as my kids. They get an hour break before they have to do their homework so we will either play a game or they can go to their friend's house, they usually do their homework while I'm cooking dinner, we eat dinner together every night and we'll talk about our day then it's shower, a little t.v. and then bed. Saturday is strictly family day, we will get out of the house and go do something and Sunday is our cleaning day.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2009