Does anyone else feel this way?

Okay...
I'm 32, I have 3 kids...didn't start gaining weight until around baby number 2 (only mentioning that in case someone wanted to know if what about to ask has to deal with my weight or not), but since I was a child, the earliest I can remember is like age 10, my hands shake. Sometimes, they'll shake and I am not aware of it, so much that someone else will have to point it out to me. There have been times my hands were shaking so bad that it was like a 'blur'. I know that may seem like an extreme, but I'm just trying to help you all understand me.

Fast forward some years, and this 'hands shaking' business starts up again. It's possible it never went away, but I just kept myself so busy that I either didn't see it or I just ignored...whatever.

Now, here we are at age 32 and I have had moments over the past few years where my husband has noticed this. He'll tell me 'sweetie/babe, look at your hands'. And it's not always both hands...and it's not like I'm nervous, at least, I don't think I am. I know I'm a paranoid person due to some childhood trauma...but it's not an everyday all day thing...

Could it be some sort of nerve thing/issue?

Also, sarcoidosis runs on my dads side of the family. From what I've heard, this 'illness' can attack any system of the body, and that's what it did to my dad. He had it, refused to take medicine (or so I was told) so, while sarcoids isn't cureable, it is treatable and you and stop it where it is. I'm concerned not only for myself, but for my kids as well.

Is there any tests I can demand? I've talked to several doctors, things have happened over the years (in 2004 I had unexplained, itchy bumps from the neck down and even under my skin on my the palms of my hands and soles of my feet, I have no known allergies, I was tested and tested, and TESTED again...and nothing, then as a young kid, I had problems breathing, in 2002 to 2003, I had a pain that traveled from my left shoulder blade to my ribs...I had a hard time breathing, it hurt like crazy...but all these things seemed to just 'go' as time went on)

In 2008, my previous doctor did a 'test' to see if it was a nerve issue...and there was nothing she could see.

So, just want to know if I'm alone in this? Thanks ladies (in advance!)

HomeEduIsCool

Asked by HomeEduIsCool at 11:49 PM on Oct. 13, 2012 in Health

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Oct. 14, 2012

• My son has started experiencing this. DH and I think it may have something to do with what he was exposed to in Iraq.
    He's stubborn and won't see a Dr for this. He's 26, so I can't force him to go. Hopefully you and him find out what's going on.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:05 AM on Oct. 14, 2012

• It could be anything at this point, a neurologist could maybe figure it out.
    mto3821

Answer by mto3821 at 12:07 AM on Oct. 14, 2012

• @anon...um, thank you!
    @PMSMom10...well, in 2003, I had to see a therapist, and based on her observations of the things we discussed, she mentioned PTSD, and I didn't think of it then, but [let's just say] I was traumatized a few times between the ages of 1yr and 4yrs, then there was another few 'attempts' at said trauma when we moved to California. After that, at 12, something happened...but my hands were shaking and my breathing was 'fast paced' before what happened at age 12...not to devalue PTSD, but if that's what it is, wow.
    I'm sorry to hear about your son, I will continue to pray for him.
    @mto3821...you're right. I don't even think I considered seeing a neurologist...you gave me a good idea.

Thank you ladies.
    HomeEduIsCool

Comment by HomeEduIsCool (original poster) at 12:15 AM on Oct. 14, 2012

• That's what DH and I think it is. He served 2 tours and God only knows what he experienced. He won't talk to us. Really worries us.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:17 AM on Oct. 14, 2012

• @PMSMom10...it sounds very VERY reasonable and possible. The type of trauma I experienced (while I didn't make this connection at the time, me being a kid and all), left me feeling alone, like I can't talk to anyone. Bad attitude, lots of anger, I even sat rocking back and forth as a little girl in 2nd or 3rd grade behind the trailors where we had classrooms set up...I didn't even realize that a friend of mine just sat there with me until I stopped and I slowly turned and looked at her. Mind you, I can barely remember those things that happened between ages 1yr and 4yrs, but something in me remembers because I'm having these flashes that I can't explain. For a long time I thought I was crazy because I know that when we hear or see things, our brains can incorporate those sounds and images into our psyche, thus making it so real that we think we experienced those things. But something about that isn't easing my mind.
    HomeEduIsCool

Comment by HomeEduIsCool (original poster) at 12:22 AM on Oct. 14, 2012

• And I used to be one of the same people that treated depression, PTSD, anxiety, and other mental issues as though they were nothing but reasons for people to get attention, but these things DO need attention...it's just, who's going to believe a crazy person? At least, that's how some of us feel.
    HomeEduIsCool

Comment by HomeEduIsCool (original poster) at 12:24 AM on Oct. 14, 2012

• I'm sorry you're experiencing this! Makes me sad.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:29 AM on Oct. 14, 2012

• I don't think you're crazy. Trust your flashbacks. Get help. I think you have PTSD and you really do need counseling.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 12:29 AM on Oct. 14, 2012

• BTW, DO NOT talk to any therapist or counselor who is not familiar with and supportive of those with DID or dissociative identity disorder.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 12:31 AM on Oct. 14, 2012