Any suggestions?

Hello Moms,
Fairly new to the site and I must admit I have not gotten into the habit of visiting often. However, I visited my 4 y/o preschool teacher today and received the usual... good bad (concerned) news. She spoke about his "activeness". And she even mentioned 'hyper' a few types. These words are usually cause for a question mark due to the increased research and info on ADD and ADHD... My concern is that my 4 y/o has been yelling out... No words... just a yell. Maybe once or twice.... for no reason at all... Should I be concerned about vocal tics? After speaking with his teacher, I also spoke with his daycare provider and she said the same things. Then as I thought about how he behaves at home..... he does some of the same things. Any suggestions.... before I go into a frenzy... thinking that I have to run him to the pediatrician?

youngmomofms

Asked by youngmomofms at 4:48 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My first response is "He's a Boy." My second is, is the yelling just a kind of random thing, or is it during specific activities - if you don't know, then journal it and have his teachers/day care providers journal his day as well and then go from there to see if you can identify the reason behind the behavior. Yes, he's active - he's 4 AND a boy. Can he concentrate on anything for extended periods of time? Is he able to stay focused during conversations, listen to you or his teachers, able to display his emotions appropriately? If yes to most of these things, then likely not ADHD. Just make sure he has enough physical outlets to meet his physical activity needs and either limit his TV to 30 minutes or just don't let him watch TV.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 5:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• i would talk to his dr about next time he goes. or if you are really concerned id make an appointment just to get a drs opinion
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:56 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I would talk to a doctor. He could have vocal tics or he might be testing his voice to see what kind of reaction he gets. If he does have any "problems" the doctor can recommend Early Intervention. The kinds of therapies they use are more helpful for younger children. They will make it easier on him as he grows up. I would make a special appointment to talk about it so it gets the necessary attention.
    yakara77

Answer by yakara77 at 5:01 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• that was my thought to..about him being a boy..not even a boy..hes a kid...thats what kids do..i fully agree with JPsmommy..took the words right outta my fingertips..lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 7:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• my son is 3 and just yells for no reason just......AHHHHHH. but he does it more if he knows it annoys me. i will say shhh no screaming which works for a little but then its AHHHHH...HAHA. my dd didnt do that so i just asume its a boy thing but if your worried call his doc and talk to them. also me and my dd for years were being told by teachers shes ADD every year a teacher would say that well i just had my dd evaluated and the doc disagrees. shes just a social butterfly and would rather talk to her friends. so you just never know. just like i may never know or find out way later in life. good luck mama. take ibprofin it will help with the scream. xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:32 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• well, i'd look at the reasons why he yells out at home.
    perhaps the same situation is happening at school.
    find out the cause...so the next time you're having a talk with his teacher...you could ask, "did someone...whatever..?" and maybe they will be enlightened, too.
    i find that teachers have too many kids on their hands and only favor those that are quiet and well behaved. but it doesn't mean something's wrong with your boy...it could just be the teacher.
    spend time with your child and find out why he yells out. it's that simple. i think.
    JANIKA66

Answer by JANIKA66 at 8:10 PM on Feb. 11, 2009