He makes himself throw up!!

My 8 month old is driving me nuts these days. He'll stick his fingers down his throat and make himself throw up after each meal. He also cries when I feed him food(baby food). One day I fed him he stuck his hand down his throat and pretty much vomited everything, bottle and all. Whats going on with him?!!!

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 4:51 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's probably teething. He doesn't do it thinking I'm going to make myself vomit
    Anonymous

• I really think he does it to try to attract attention but I wonder if he's too young to know what he's doing.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 4:56 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• But if you think about it, if you're feeding him he is getting attention so that doesn't make much sense. (I'm not trying to sound rude, just don't know how to word it). He may be trying to break molars though
    Anonymous

• Maybe he doesnt want the food?

8 months is really too early. If children were left to feed in their own time, they wouldnt until well into the second year be having regular meals.

The first year should be all about breastmilk and would be if the child had a say.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:09 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• whatever keyaziz. My baby LOVES eating all kinds of food, I doubt if she could talk she would say "mommy I just want breastmilk." I don't force feed her ever, but she opens her mouth when the spoon comes and gets a big smile when she tastes something she likes.

To OP, that's crazy. Try just letting him have foods that he can feed himself. Like gerber puffs, cheerios, pieces of sweet potatoes, black beans, etc. Lay them on the high chair tray and let him feed himself. If he doesn't want it he doesn't have to eat it.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 5:14 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I'm going to bet it doesn't have anything to do with him not wanting the food he is given. My daughter did this. She was constantly sticking her fingers down her throat at that age. She would do it after meals or just sitting in the backseat of the car driving down the road. Eight months is a bit early to understand the consequences for sticking his fingers down his throat so he may or may not be doing it to gain extra attention. With my daughter I just figured she was trying to understand her mouth and throat. It was certainly annoying cleaning up baby vomit all the time but after a month or two she quit doing it. So, I'd bet it's just a curiosity phase rather than a ploy for attention or food rejection. Just be patient and he'll eventually move on to something else (hopefully a bit less messy, lol). Good luck.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 5:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My friend just told me that her son did this too... He's older now, 17 months... but started around the same age.
    Does he do it more if he has chunks of food?? With her son that is when he would do it. And it's because his tonsils were so huge food was getting caught.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:24 PM on Feb. 9, 2009