If it's only an "atheist problem"

why are Jews, Catholics and other non-protestants across the South also dealing with constant harassment in public schools?

http://www.jewsonfirst.org/12a/Schools1.aspx

Long, but worth the read.  I've come across this on so many different blogs and new sites, but only the ones that are open to inclusiveness.  Funny this conversation is staying out of the mainstream, especially after a major Atlanta university just formally apologized for anti-Semetic policies.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:46 PM on Oct. 14, 2012 in Religious Debate

• that's not entirely true throughout the entire "bible belt"....i live in the deep south and there are jewish people here that are accepted for what they believe. i have nothing against anyone who isn't baptist, as long as they keep their views on religion to themselves, so will i
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2012

• Didn't you know, Atheists are the universal scape goats, just like Satan. That's why "Atheists" are the ones that took prayer out of school and caused it so we don't say the pledge every mornign too. (Never mind the court case documents that show otherwise such as Engel vs Vitale and Minersville School District vs Gobitis) IT's all teh fault of those evil Atheists
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2012

• that's not entirely true throughout the entire "bible belt"....i live in the deep south and there are jewish people here that are accepted for what they believe.

Did you actually read the article?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2012

• yeah i read it.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:05 PM on Oct. 14, 2012

• yeah i read it.

Then I don't understand how you can ignore all the examples given to instead insist it doesn't happen in every corner of the bible belt. Does not knowing of any examples of it in your own town negate the experiences of thousands of others?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2012

• How did she "negate the experiences of thousands of others"? She simply said that it doesn't happen everywhere - which is true. Just like black people aren't treated like crap everywhere, and just like women aren't allowed to enjoy some of the same freedoms we enjoy everywhere. It doesn't negate someone else's experience to admit/acknowledge that there are places where what that person experienced doesn't happen.

It's sad that people deal with things like this, but it doesn't happen everywhere. Yes, it does happen - as shown by the article. But not everywhere, and stating that fact doesn't take anything away from those people.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2012

• How did she "negate the experiences of thousands of others"?

Please read what I actually wrote - I asked HER if SHE THOUGHT it negated those experiences. In other words - how is it possibly relevant?
    Should've known this one would create a drama llama.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Oct. 14, 2012

• How is it not relevant? You asking that implies that the fact that those experiences exist means it happens everywhere. A statement that there are places that it doesn't happen is perfectly relevant.

And how am I creating drama by asking a simple question? Was the point of this not to "debate?"
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:17 PM on Oct. 14, 2012

• no, i know it happens but i just hate when people from the south are made out to be narrow minded ignorant backwoods rednecks
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2012

• How is it not relevant?

In the same way that an individual example of a child not being abused is irrelevant to the existence of child abuse. The debate here is the claim by many in this section that there is no abuse of non-Christians in public schools, that it's nothing but atheists whining. This is an example of other faiths being abused in public schools.

And how am I creating drama

By misquoting what was stated to suggest I said something I never said, then try to insist I defend the statement I never made. In "debate", that's known as cheating.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Oct. 14, 2012