Is taking and 11 yr old to a bar something that you would do? and why or why not?

Last night my stepson was with his mother, and they were only supposed to be ToTreetingat his maternal grandmother's campground. We got a text that they were then going to go see his aunt. Albeit, we were not informed it was at the bar. They were there for 2 hrs in smoke and alcohol smells. He does not like it and was less than thrilled. I texted her at 8pm asking if he would be home by 9 as that is his bedtime, yes, even on the weekends because he wakes normally by 6/630 anyways even without the alarm clock. She does not think of him, only of her. He was very upset about it and I am left in a sore spot except for him to give a note to his counselor (Social Worker) and his guardian ad litem. Any other suggestions?? Would be greatly appreciated... Thanks

Anidawehiwahya

Asked by Anidawehiwahya at 4:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2012 in Tweens (9-12)

• First of all whether or not some of you believe it there are some bars who let kids in....I use to go and sit in a bar with my dad all the time and I was younger then this kid. NOt to mention we had a sports bar that kids could come in with their parents to go play in the game room while their parents sat and socialized. Second of all as for the step mom comments. If you and you hubby have custody of yr stepson then yes it is yr complete right to ask about his well being while he is with his mom or anyone else. Especially since you are the one taking care of him. I was a step mom and helped raise my step kid and to say that a step parent has or shouldnt have no rights especially when alot of step parents are tons better then the real parents is a bunch of bull!! If it wasnt for me my youngest step son would never have learned to read or write and I was the one who helped him with his homework and washed his clothes!
    Fairymom32

Answer by Fairymom32 at 9:51 AM on Oct. 16, 2012

• No I wouldn't. But, why are you as a step mom, texting the mother with instructions? Does your DH have possession? If so, he should've done it.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2012

• They wouldn't allow him in a bar here!

Totally irresponsible and not okay with me! I'd be very pissed!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 14, 2012

• I'm calling this post bs. 11yos would not be allowed in a bar, much less for 2hrs.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2012

Troll or not notwithstanding, that is not a universal law. Where I live now, you must be 21 to enter a bar or liquor store. In IL, you only have to be 21 to sit at the actual bar. If you're in a store or at a table, it's allowed. Then there are all the private clubs like VFW/Elks/Moose/etc that let kids in at any time and the bar shares the same room as the seating for the fish fry.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2012

• I dont believe it. No bar will allow a 11 yr in their bar.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:35 PM on Oct. 15, 2012