My 3 year old doesnt want to eat, she will eat cereal for breakfast but once it comes to lunch and dinner she doesnt want to eat. If she does sit down to "eat" she just takes a bite or two and then just plays with her food. Is there anything i can give her? Or should i just talk to her doctor?

jessi1414

Asked by jessi1414 at 4:33 PM on Oct. 14, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's normal for 3 yr olds to not eat a lot. If you're worried, talk to her doctor.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2012

• Hey mommy, i feel your frustration, i myself am dealing with the same thing since my son was 1 years old. He is now six and now has a stronger appetite but still struggles to eat all his meal. I have gone to doctors but they say feed him what he likes most. BUT i did not want him to keep on eating the same thing every time. I have seen that "PediaSure" for kids works pretty well, he gets more hungry often through out the day and instead of me running after him all day asking him "are you hungry" he comes to me and says he hungry. Also try sitting down with her and challenge her while seeing you eating also, its encouraging. I sit down and play games with my son. Like for example, i will say okay if you eat 4 more pieces of pasta and drink all your milk you can have ice cream after or cookies. Or i will say lets see who eats more ready go.....and i will purposely eat slower and less so he will win and i applaud him loudly.
    CINDYELLA88

Answer by CINDYELLA88 at 5:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2012

• What & how much does she drink during the day? Is it that she's a picky eater or just doesn't want to eat?
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 5:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2012

• I am the Mom that will take the plate and give her the same meal the next time she eats. My DD learned to eat what was put in front of her. She learned early that we don't cave. Toddlers will not starve themselves. My DD also figured out that if we took her food away it was the easy way out. She now has to sit at the table until she eats what I consider a decent amount....usually it is all of it. I don't reheat either. It is her fault that her lunch or dinner got cold. They have to learn and understand consequences. BTW my DD is 4 and has always been a good eater, but we go through phases just like every other child and I NEVER give her more than I know she is capable of eating.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:45 PM on Oct. 14, 2012

• Unless she's losing weight and the doctor is worried about her I wouldn't stress about it. She IS eating ... just not a lot. She's not going to let herself starve.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:28 AM on Oct. 15, 2012

• At between two and three some kids go through a phase of not eating--basically they take a lapse from growing like a weed and they just don't need so much food and their bodies take a while to adjust. While consulting your doctor and not some know it all Mom like me on Cafemom is a good idea, I would not worry too much. Whatever you do, don't start giving her french fries or other junk just so she will "eat something" I will pay for that mistake for the rest of my life.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 3:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2012

• Thanks to all of you for you advice and suggestions
    jessi1414

Comment by jessi1414 (original poster) at 12:24 AM on Oct. 16, 2012