How can I determine if my baby is lactose intolerant?

My baby was born 2 weeks ago, and I've been having a few problems with feeding. I tried breast feeding but that wasn't working so I'm currently pumping but she seems to spit up after just about every feeding. If she eats 12 times a day she spits up about 8 of those feedings. We tried infant formula same thing happens. She is only eating about 2 ounces so I don't think I'm over feeding her. She is also fussy when she sleeps, she grunts and twists like something is bothering her. Lately it's been rare when she sleeps soundly. Could she be lactose intolerant?

CEstrada

Asked by CEstrada at 5:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• could be or it could be how fast she is eating too...all my kids spat up a lot..there was a total difference with my last on who was lactose intolerant...it was very noticeable when i had milk or ice cream that it didnt sit well and wasnt just sit up.
    Rysana

Answer by Rysana at 5:19 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• some babies do spit up a lot.

My baby is lactose intolerant and she showed now signs of it except blood in her stools. She rarely spits up. But some babies who are spit up a lot. I would watch for more cues. Like a rash, fussiness and things like that. Will you be going in to the doctor soon? If you are make sure to talk about that.

julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 5:23 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/lactose-intolerance.html
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 5:32 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My son is lactose intolerant and has acid reflex. He had really dark green stools so they tested for blood, but found none. We think we caught it early. He would also throw up about every feeding. There is a differance between throw up and spit up. He is on zantac for acid reflex and alimentum formula made by similac. He is doing really good now at 6 months and just started some baby food once a day. I would be documenting how often you feed and how often the she spits up and talk to the doctor soon. Good luck
    DJMsmom

Answer by DJMsmom at 5:37 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• While you're breastfeeding, stop drinking milk and dairy for 2 weeks. If the spitting up decreases, that could be it. I've had to drink Lactaid ever since my son was born because I BF and if I drink milk he spits up like a hose. lol. talk to your pedi
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 8:01 PM on Feb. 9, 2009