• In the Spotlight:

how much do you give your kids

i dont need ppl being mean to me so please be nice lol
how much do you give your kids a week mo ect and how much did you get when you were younger

when i was 13-17 i got 100 aweek for cooking cleaning ect chors my brother and sisters got the same i know thats alot of money for kids but that wasnt up to me what i got now that im a mom i was wondering what is a norm amount for ages

1-18

my bf thinks its should be like this per week
1 yr = 1 dollar
2 yr = 2 dollars
ect but idk
so what do you all think

thanks

truannmil

Asked by truannmil at 5:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (-2 Credits)
  • my son is 3 and he gets a dollar a week for helping me take care of his dog. I didn't get an allowance when I was a kid, I got privileges for doing my chores during the week. If I didn't do them, I lost them the next week.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 5:25 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I think the 1 yr = 1 dollar ect.. but its up to you, maybe $5 to clean your room $5 take out rubbish $5 do the dishes.. ect they get $5 for every chor they complete make a big time table so you can tick off the chors they do so you know how much they get that week.
    Mumma07

Answer by Mumma07 at 5:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• honestly we dont give our kids money weekly, i just cant afford it, not right now anyhow. we do have rewards for doing chores which earns them a trip to the store normally my boys just want more collectors cards and i can afford that every 2 weeks or so and its under 10.00, I also give my boys a few dollars every other week to spend at the student store at thier elem. school. my daughter is only 4 so normally she likes to get a new lipgloss which is less than a dollar or we do a happy meal day just the two of us.

Once my kids are in high school or even next year with my son in middle school i will probably switch to weekly allowance.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• daaaamn i wish i got 100 week when i was younger..lol..i only got about 35 a month..my daughters 4 and doesnt have a real allowance yet..but when she does special things, like help washes the cars, or cleans up all the dogs toys outside when i go to cut the lawn she gets money..as for like helpinbgout around the house, she already loves doin that just on her own..lol..sooo i'll take advantage as long as i can :) im kidding..lol..i plan on starting an allowance once shes turns 5..and thats in april..so..yay..lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 5:29 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My oldest is almost 5 and gets nothing.

I never got allowances growing up for doing chores around the house. Afterall, it was my house too why shouldnt I have to help keep it nice??

I feel the same way about my children. They wont get paid allowances. IF they get anything it would be for good grades not chores.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 5:29 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I don't give allowance as part of the family they are expected to help out. Nobody pays me! lol! If they do something above and beyond there normal duties I will pay them accordingly . Example: my son is expected to pick up his toys in his room, set the table and keep the living room neat. If I ask him to clean up his baby sisters room or sweep the porch then I may give him a couple dollars butnot every time. I feel he sould not expect it. I give them all of what they need and some of what they want. I personally will not ever do a weekly thing because I feel like it is bribery to do what they should be doing anyway. That is just my opinion though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:31 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• i know i now wish i saved all that money i would have almost 20 k i could have bought a car off the lot that day man
    truannmil

Answer by truannmil at 5:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• what about puting like 20 a mo in a savings account for her til she moves out or needs a car i kinda like that idea so i wont be bribing her in to cleaning ect
    truannmil

Answer by truannmil at 5:36 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• we give our kids money (i mean a dollar) all the time and she puts it in her piggy bank or she'll buy something..she helps with the laundry puts it in the dryer or puts the on the couch helps cleans her room and ect and she's 20 months and the other kids is 8 months...so do want your mind tells you,their so many people out there that cant affort the kids all the time so its hard on them but you can buy her something at the store and tell her this is a gift for helping mama or dada for the week or month its how you want to do it,it does get expensive after while but GOOD LUCK with it..A saving sounds good too but its hard to keep something open that long but you can do a college thing too
    blackjack

Answer by blackjack at 5:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My kids are 8, 7, 6 and 2 and don't get an allowance. They are still expected to do their chores (they have quite a few) because they are part of the family and it is everyone's job to take care of the house and each other. I don't get paid and neither do they.
    I never did chores as a kid but my dad gave me money whenever I asked for it (I rarely did...I usually saved my birthday money to buy gifts for other people, etc). I did get $30 a week for lunch and bus fare home in high school. Whatever was leftover (if there was any) I saved in case I wanted something or needed to buy something for someone. Usually I had none left over because I would give it all away to my friends when they didn't have enough for lunch.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2009