• In the Spotlight:

Nursing to a cup?

my son is 4 months old, i gave him his first single grain cereal yesterday he loved it. since hes been born he hasnt used a bottle, just breastfeed. after seeing how good he did with cereal i pumped about 2 oz and put it in a sippy good, and he did surprising good with that too. would it be ok to start him on a sippy cup instead of going from nursing to a bottle then to a cup, cant i just skip the bottle stage, he drank fine from it?

MamaMays

Asked by MamaMays at 5:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when do you plan to stop nursing? If it's right away I would probably suggest a bottle but if it's closer to a yr then go for it!
    Anonymous

• Im really not sure about that one. I think it helps with their motor and suckign skills I think.. im not too sure it should be fine if he took to it well
    Mumma07

Answer by Mumma07 at 5:32 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• i was planning on nursing until about a year when he can start on milk.... that way i can skip the formula phase too,
    MamaMays

Answer by MamaMays at 5:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Yeah I'd go for it. My SIL did that (my dh is too young so I haven't had any experience). I think if it's much earlier than a year then it's too early. Just keep practicing withthe sippy cup now with juice and water (when old enough)
    Anonymous

• I breastfed both of my sons. I didn't want to do the bottle thing either. I started them both with a sippy cup at 6 months. I would pump my milk and put it in a sippy cup. We avoided the whole bottle fiasco.
    Anonymous

• There's really no need for the bottle at all? Why not just continue nursing straight from the breast?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My first daughter went straight from breastfeeding to breastfeeding and using a sippy cup. She hated bottles.
    SuperMommy0212

Answer by SuperMommy0212 at 12:11 PM on Feb. 10, 2009