Your daughter comes home and says she is pregnant...

What do you do? Do you let her choose whether or not to carry it and/or keep it or give it up for adoption or to have an abortion? Do you force her to either get an abortion or carry it? What if she does the opposite of what you request her to do? What about the emotional, psychological and physical traumas of forcing her to do either?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I would not give my daughter the option of an abortion, but I would let her choose to raise the baby as her own or let us (her parents) do so, if we were able and willing, or look into adopting out. I know someone who was forced to give her baby up to her parents and she never got over it. I have also known many older women who voluntarily went in for abortions, and also were scarred for life.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 7:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• First off I would make sure she is healthy and so is the baby. Find out who the father is and talk to his parents (they should know even if they baby will be given up for adoption). Get her on vitamins and get her to the Doc. Then have a long discussion with her about what she thinks shes ready for and If she plans on raising the baby (with my help of course), or look into an adoption. I would also see if she would give me custody, so the baby could stay in the family. Just be there to support her and make sure she knows that shes not looked down upon but knows she should have waited or used more protection.
    TwistedMama27

Answer by TwistedMama27 at 7:33 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I would never chose for her or force her to take one option over another. I would have my own opinion about what I think she should do but it would really depend on how old she is. This is her choice. Whatever she chooses she is the one who has to live with her decision for the rest of her life.
    Eliza34

Answer by Eliza34 at 7:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I would be there every moment to support her. Abortion would not be an option! If she didn't want to raise the baby, then we would. I pray this never happens, but I know that it does sometimes. I would give her the option of homeschooling or virtual school. She would definately be loved and cared for.
    Cheri628

Answer by Cheri628 at 8:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• she chose to do what she did. now she has to chose how she will handle it. support her in any decision she makes and dont force her to do anything.
    amdeetuemama

Answer by amdeetuemama at 9:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I would talk to her and find out who the father is and ask her what type of relationship they have together. Then I would notify his family and ask them how they including the father most of all feels about it and what they would want. I do not approve of abortion so that would not be an option. I've heard that people that get abortions regret it a lot and live with guilt for the rest of their lives. I would want to keep the baby in our family. I would help my daughter raise it and get her to a doctor and get her tested for diseases. I would talk to her also though and ask her what she would want. I would hope that she would want to keep the baby with our help and possibly the help of the father and his family. I just hope abortion would not be a thought. I would have her go to counseling and see what abortion involves if it is a thought in her mind.
    miss1973

Answer by miss1973 at 10:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I would support her. I would let her know her options and I would try my damdest to keep her from having an abortion. It would be very hard if she chose to give the baby up but I would still support her. If she decided to keep the baby I would support her, teach her and help her with what she wanted my help with.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I was a teenage mom, the best thing my mom did was support me in my decision to keep my son. The worst thing my dad did was tell me I had to get an abortion. My son & Dad have had a good relationship all his life, but I will never forget those words. Be supportive. Take her to a local Crisis Pregnancy Center, they are usually Christian ran and will tell her options and will usually do an ultrasound for free. They have great resources and are amazing. And above all else, talk WITH her and pray FOR her. Be a great mom to her.
    LyndenMomof2

Answer by LyndenMomof2 at 12:21 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I would love her, like always. I would repect what ever dicision she made. I would never force my will upon her. I would help her in anyway I could. I know my daughter feels very strongly about this subject and would chose to keep her baby. So, I would love my grandchild with all my heart. I would do my best to help them both through life.
    twistedsprout

Answer by twistedsprout at 10:52 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• i had a baby at 14 and my mom supported me the whole time. i think you should support her decision on what she wants to do but once she has it make sure she understands that its her baby not yours. thats what my mom did me. and now that my son is 2. i appreciate my mom more for making me go through what i had to go through [pregnancy & a baby] i am now a better responcible teenager with a good head on my shoulders. and a wonderful son.
    teenagemommy16

Answer by teenagemommy16 at 5:06 AM on Jun. 21, 2008