What age for bunk beds?

I want to know how old kids should be before they can have bunk beds. My son and step son are only 6 months apart and age and will share a bedroom when he is at our house and I thought that would save some room in their bedroom. But they are only 4 so I am not sure.

ZaTa

Asked by ZaTa at 5:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• We've looked into it for our boys and have seen that they should be no younger than 6 to be in the top bunk so we're waiting until then at least.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 5:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I've heard not before 6 and I plan to wait at least that long with my twins. The danger is in small bodies falling through between rails and mattress and heads getting stuck. Though falling off could be bad too.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My son has been in his top bunk since he was almost four. No problems. There was a week that he didn't want to climb down the latter but that ended up working to our (myself and DH) benefit so he started doing it again. LOL we would put him up there when ever he was pitching a fit and he would stay up there til we came and got him! (No - i did not leave him up there long people- com' on)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:44 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I think it's a kid by kid thing. I know they say not before 6, but my 5 year old (in 10 days) has been in one for about a year...on top.

Make sure there is a good solid side rail for one thing.

If your concern is (like mine was) the ladder and the middle of the night pee trip...we have one with stairs on the end. It's not as convenient since the entire set of beds is one piece (the stairs ARE the end of the bed) but I've felt better with no ladder for him to slip on and break a leg. And the end of the stairs are drawers. Not really big enough for a dresser, but storage at least!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:14 PM on Feb. 9, 2009