Do you switch to Cows milk at 1 year exact? And do you switch to table food only at the same time?

When do you switch to cows milk? I know at a year but do you do cold turkey and go straight to milk? Also when do you switch to only table food? Sometimes my son will eat table food and other days he just wants baby food. Please help

NAT24ROXY24

Asked by NAT24ROXY24 at 5:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When I switched my kids I did half milk and half breastmilk to start. My doctor also told me to use whole milk but now he has switched my daughter to 2% because she was having a hard time going to the bathroom. As far as the food goes my daughter is 15 months and still eats both baby food and table food. I'm using up the rest of the baby food and then will just give her table food. Hope this helped!!! Good luck!
    summernight

Answer by summernight at 6:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I started cow's milk in phases. I would cut out a cup of formula and replace it with milk. It took about 2 weeks until my sons were completely on milk. In regards to food...I started giving my sons different table foods when they were about 6/7 months. By 9/10 months, they were no longer eating baby food. Just make sure you feed easy to gum foods (since most babies at this age don't have a lot of teeth, they don't have their molars usually) cut into tiny pieces. I fed a lot of Cheerios, Kix, bananas, soft pears, peas, cooked carrots, cooked sweet potatoes, chicken, crackers.
    Anonymous

• Don't mix formula with milk unless your pedi says so. With all 3 of mine we just did the change at 1. With table food if they have enough teeth you can do it.

Anonymous

• We introduced table foods at 6 months and by the time they were 9 months they were eating all table foods. Teeth don't have anything to do with it, they only gum food until they get their molars anyway.

Because they had a varied, balanced diet of table foods, the pediatrician had us put them on milk at 9months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• You can do a quick change, or no change. Cow's milk isn't needed and it's kind of gross lol... But that is my opinion. I think you should make a slow transition because cow's milk can be extremely hard to digest.

As for table foods, go with the flow. He can still eat baby food. It wont hurt him... slowly introduce more table foods and less baby foods etc.

I am not the kind of parent who just forces everything on a child all at once, I don't view it as healthy.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I switched my daughter starting at 11 months. Mixed 1/4 milk with formula the first week, 1/2 and 1/2 f the second week, 3/4 milk the third week then plain milk the 4th week.............I wouldnt push adult table food. Mix it up for a while longer. Remember the spices and textures of adult food sometimes arent so good for little guys :)
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 5:58 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• When I switched my daughter to milk, she still nursed first thing in the morning and just before bed, and we mix - and - matched both table food and baby food. Use your intuition and your baby's likes & dislikes to guide you...just remember to make food soft, and avoid choking hazards, such as hot dogs, nuts, popcorn, hard or gummy candy, whole grapes....until your child is 3 - 4 years and knows to take bites and chew, chew, chew! My girl liked curly noodles, they are easy to pick up.
    catgirlw2

Answer by catgirlw2 at 8:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2009