UGH! How do I handle this?!?

I was washing my daughter's hair tonight in the tub and she has LICE! I am home without a vehicle until my husband gets home in the morning. I already called the doctors answering service and they said that I might be able to get them to call in a script in the morning. She just turned 2 and I wasn't sure if I could use the OTC stuff on her.

Anyway, is there any truth to using dishsoap?

I know all about washing everything. Bagging her stuffed animals. I was just wondering if anyone had tried dishsoap?

Amanda0712

Asked by Amanda0712 at 10:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2012 in Kids' Health

• You don't have to kill yourself washing. But throw pillows, backpacks, coats, towels, blankets, stuffies in the dryer for 20 minute on high heat. Vacuum. If you have Cetaphil, you can google the Cetaphil method. It works. The best thing is to comb day and night. I was so freaked I heated everything in the morning and dried everything again in the evening. I vacuumed the furniture. You can try conditioner too but you need a metal lice comb. Also, their life cycle is 7 days. So be sure to check for at least two weeks for lice or eggs.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2012

• also, get a magnifying glass to identify nits from dandruff.
    jeanclaudia

• Cover her head in Vaseline,hand lotion,mayo,or anything oily,and cover her head with a shower cap or Saran Wrap
    The bugs can't breathe and will die

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2012

• I've heard Olive oil, mayo, and vaseline can all work. Apply to head and hair, wrap in saran wrap and leave up to 3 hours
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2012

• 8 hours...leave this stuff on for 8 hours (over night). With the Cetaphil you can leave it on but blow it dry...much more tolerable for everyone but takes a bit longer to dry.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2012

• don't get mad, but are you sure its lice? have you thought about how she got it, if it is?
    just sayin', in my business, i've had people mistake buildup or even dirt, for lice.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2012

• I am sure. I had 7 siblings. We delt with it alot when I was younger. The only thing I can think of is that it came from a b day party my husband took her to the other day. I am not seeing any bugs. Just the nits. And not very many of them. But they are attached to the hair strand. I just haven't had to deal with it on a child this young before. :( Luckily my boys already have super short hair. :)
    Amanda0712

Comment by Amanda0712 (original poster) at 10:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2012

• They have something called ridX and it's safe for kids and it kills the nits and eggs. I would make sure it's safe for 2 year old.
    LovingMommy0123

Answer by LovingMommy0123 at 11:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2012