So which is it?

I have heard so many opinions and studies about how long a child should be breastfed. I know some only breastfeed for a few months, some for many years. But what is the optimal length of time to breastfeed your child? Up to one year? Two years?

theitalian3721

Asked by theitalian3721 at 5:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Personally I think up to 1 year is the longest. I think once they can walk and eat and stuff like that they need to be on bottles because they will get very attached and you will end up having a 3-4 year old not wanting to give it up. which will be harder to do for yourself and the baby.
    Mumma07

Answer by Mumma07 at 6:03 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• The American Academy Of Pediatrics recommends a 1 year MINIMUM. They do not specify a stopping age.

The World Health Organization recommends a 2 year MINIMUM. Again, no stop date.

As for what Mumma said, that is just lack of education talking. MY daughter nursed for 21 months, and she self weaned AND she eats very healthy.. After one the nursings go down. I have never met a toddler who nursed like a newborn. They do eat regular food, and drink other things.

Nursing isn't like a bottle either, it wont affect teeth development.

It is best to nurse for the first year, at least. While any amount of time nursing is healthy for the baby, you would have to switch to formula if you stopped nursing after a few months and there is just no comparison. If you can give breast milk why would you choose to give formula? You could pump and feed in a bottle if the act of nursing bothered you. There are health benefits beyond a few mont
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Excuse me but I am not lacking in education its just difference of opinion!!! I know breast milk doesnt have a actual stopping age I just think 1 year is a good time. Becaus I have friends who breast fed their babies until they where 2-3 and it was very hard to get them off even with eat and drinking other things. The y screamed and yelled. Thats why that was my opinion. NOT LACK OF EDUCATION THANKS!! Every child is different.
    Mumma07

Answer by Mumma07 at 6:12 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• LOL. You PMed me the exact same thing you wrote here? I am sorry but saying

you will end up having a 3-4 year old not wanting to give it up. which will be harder to do for yourself and the baby.

Is false. You made a blanket statement as a fact and that just isn't true. It's a scare tactic based on nothing. If me calling you out on it, upsets you, I apologize but many many women say the same thing because they are truly uneducated on the subject of nursing.

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I b-fed my son for 15 months and daughter for 26 months. I began encouraging them both to wean at 12 months. My son was easily distracted and lost interest a few months later. My daughter, however, refused to be redirected and was adament on nursing. I finally had to wean her cold turkey because I had a biopsy done under my arm and was having a hard time healing with her pulling on my breast and having the surgery skin pulled. She even popped a stitch!!! LOL...but seriously she did. Not to mention that she bit me once and I got a bad infection and fever from it. Well besides that , the memories are beautiful and the ones that aren't are just humorous. She's almost 3 now and still yearns for the skin to skin contact. BOTTOM LINE: The longer you wait the harder it is to wean so my opinion is between 1-2 yrs.
    mamawilson112

Answer by mamawilson112 at 6:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I may have worded it wrong but you "can" end up having a 3-4 yr not wanting to give it up. I have seen 1st hand that it "can" happen. And I wrote to you twice about it because I wasn't sure you would re look on this page. I just thought to say some one has lack of education because of something they say or may word wrong is very rude. Everyone has a difference of opinion whether its right or wrong. But when it come to certain things with children and babies there is no right or wrong answer.
    Mumma07

Answer by Mumma07 at 6:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• 1st to answer the question; i think the best "time" to stop breast feeding is when you feel that you no longer need to. dont get me wrong there is a limt. a five year old breastfeeding wouldnt be right in my opinion. i breastfeed my LO for only 6weeks. but she is fine. almost two years old and 35lbs 35in tall. 2nd: i am glad that mumma held her ground. mamawillson please rember that you can give a response without being rude about another opinion. You had good advice you just came at it the wrong way. just like every child, person, and pregnacy are different so our every mothers opinions about rasing childern. what works for one person might not work for another and we should respect that.
    tatankc0787

Answer by tatankc0787 at 6:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• tatank ... i think u were referring to celticreverie...
    mamawilson112

Answer by mamawilson112 at 8:36 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Yep, pretty sure she meant me.. which is fine lol.

But tatank, there may be a difference of opinion but not a difference in fact. Facts are facts, and while each mother should make their own choices some are clearly not the right choices based on those facts.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:57 PM on Feb. 9, 2009