I WANT TO CHANGE MY SONS LAST NAME...PLEASE GIVE INFO:(

K A LITTLE HISTORY... I HAVE A 8 YEAR OLD... AND IN A "RELATIONSHIP". I BECOME PREGNANT. BIO WASNT THERE WHEN PREGNANT. HE CAME AROUND AFTER I GAVE BIRTH TO A SON AND WAS ONLY THERE FOR 6 MONTHS. THEN HE WENT TO PRISON. HE WILL BE THERE FOR AT LEAST 4 YEARS. ( HE WAS GIVIN 8 BUT WILL DO AT LEAST HALF THAT TIME) K I HAVE MOVED ON FROM MY MISTAKES. ONE THOUGH I WANT TO FIX IS LEFT. THE BIO SIGNED THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE. HE IS ON CHILD SUPPORT. (ITS ONLY ACUMILATING) . MY LITTLE ONE IS NOW 2. I WANT TO CHANGE HIS LAST NAME TO MINE. I FOUND OUT THAT BIO RAPED 4 OR MORE WOMEN (THAT IS WHY HE WAS NOT AROUND WHEN PREGNANT AND FOUND OUT WHEN I SON WAS 6 MONTHS THAT HE WENT IN THIS TIME 4 DRUGS) I HAVE SPOKEN TO THESE WOMEN LONG AGO BUT THE CASE WAS DROPPED. I HAVE MOVED TO A VERY LARGE CITY DOING WEL BUT NOW FOR VERY GOOD REASONS WANT TO CHANGE MY SONS LAST NAME... AND HAVE HIM LOST IN THE PAST... WHAT DO I NEED TO D

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Parenting

• Check with an attorney. You may need to get permission from sperm donor if he is on the birth certificate. You will need to go to court to have it changed.
    chocolateroses

Answer by chocolateroses at 6:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• changing his last name won't do much, you need to have the man's rights terminated you will have to contact an attorney to do it.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 6:25 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• If you were not married when the child was born technically the bio has NO right to the child unless you have gone to court to establish rights. Seeing as how this may be the case and he is in prison and has commited some rather serious criminal acts gettin ghis rights termintated will be no problem at all. As far as getting the last name changed, Contact your local department of children adn families/hrs/ welfare/ health department (im not sure where you are but any of these places will be able to help you.) it will cost you a small fee, Usually between 15-300 dollars, and you can then get the last name changed.
    JacquiV

Answer by JacquiV at 6:56 PM on Feb. 9, 2009