Not Breastfeeding... HUGE QUESTION PLEASE HELP!

My son is 4 days old and i had him at 37 weeks and a half. Just yesterday night i started leaking. My boobs HURT so bad they are as hard as a rock. My question is what can i do for them to stop hurting? And i heard if you dont breastfeed there is a way for your breasts to stop producing milk... hows that?

Araceli361

Asked by Araceli361 at 6:31 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• there are pills that dry you up
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 6:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Okay, this sounds weird, but it works. Put refrigerated cabbage leaves inside your bra next to your breasts. It reduces swelling and helps. Any chance you would change your mind and breastfeed? That would help too, or pumping and bottle feeding the milk?
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 6:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Try putting cold on them. You can also wrap your breasts tightly in a sports bra or something like it. Also, Putting cabbage leaves in your bra is supposed to help. Eating cabbage is supposed to lower milk production, as do some other foods.I have never heard of anything outright stopping it but time! GL and congrats on your new little one.
    hilary1122

Answer by hilary1122 at 6:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• You are suppose to wrap them so it doesn't have much room for the milk, so i would keep them wrapped tight. For now since they are swollen and hard, I would recommend taking a hot shower and squeezing the milk out, otherwise you wont feel much relief... You must have alot of milk ready to come out another way is to pump it out if you have a pump. Good luck hope this helps
    Borikaos

Answer by Borikaos at 6:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• personally, I decided to drag the process out rather than dealing with the pain. The ideas above will work within a few days, but I just pumped a few times a day until they slowly dried up. That way he got some breastmilk and I didn't have to deal with the pain of engorgement.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 6:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• i thought if you stop breastfeeding and squeeze rather then pumping or breastfeeding, it slowly goes away.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 6:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• well you could solve all the problems in the world by just breastfeeding... or at least pumping to relieve engorgement that way your child at least gets some of the benefits of breastmilk. sage is suppose to help dry you up, but it doesn't work for everyone. cabbage leaves in your bra as well. I wouldn't wrap yourself tightly, it will hurt worse.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:44 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• THANKS ALOT!
    Araceli361

Answer by Araceli361 at 6:51 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I agree with celticreverie, just nurse the baby mama, that will solve ALL your problems with the pain from the engorgment AND your baby will get that wonderful good milk that God put in your breast just for him!!!

I dont really have advice for drying up, ive BF all 3 of my babies gladly.
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 6:52 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• i didnt breastfeed and i did the same thing you are doing. i wrapped myself up really tight in an acebandage and a sportbra. i didnt wear a shirt if i didnt have to.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:56 PM on Feb. 9, 2009