What age should taking first word start?

I am a little worried my son used to say MA MA MA and Da Da Da da like mumbled it ya know now he dosent say any thing except na na na na na ( for grandma or bannan) it is still mumble . Is this normal for 16 months? no words .?It hurts me he dosent say ma ma ya know? I thought he said it when he was a baby ( while back) most all of the other kids i know say ma ma . Why not my son? Should I be concerned I feel concerned?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would consider having him evaluated. Especially if he has regressed in other areas as well.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 6:36 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I have heard it is normal for babies to say words and then stop saying them. My son has gone through that he would say ma ma ma and da da da and then stop saying it as if he never learnt how to say it.
    Mumma07

Answer by Mumma07 at 6:42 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I would get him evaluated. Here's a site that might help you determine if your son needs to get evaluated

http://www.mpslc.com/identify.html#milestones
    erlsk

Answer by erlsk at 6:47 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• It wouldn't hurt to discuss this with the pediatrician and have an evaluation done through Early Intervention just to be sure.

As long as she makes the same sound for the same thing it counts as a word.
    My son pretty much stopped talking at 18 mos and then by 20 mos he was jabbering away.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 7:31 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• sometimes they stop saying things while they're trying to master a new skill. he's probably just working on new skills and putting the jabbering on the back burner for now.
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 10:06 PM on Feb. 9, 2009