Cat always wanting outside

We have a 5 month old inside kitten who ALWAYS wants outside. If there is a door opened, she is doing everything she can to get through it. We have two dogs and letting them out and bringing them in is a chore because you have to keep the kitten in...or try to get her as quick as possible if she gets outside.

We've had cats that have been interested in going outside, but never one as relentless as this one is. And she is spayed, so I know she's not doing it for that reason.

Any ideas on how to curb the desire to get outside? And, of course, couldn't do anything that would also scare the dogs from going outside (like coins in can...)

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 9:25 AM on Oct. 15, 2012 in Pets

• Try a water gun instead of a can with coins.And a question to you have a cat perch near a window so she can look outside?? It may help
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:40 AM on Oct. 15, 2012

• Get a harness and a leash. That way she can go outside, and you have control of her. You can get an adjustable harness and leash at any pet store, and probably Walmart/Target too, for about $10 for both.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:21 AM on Oct. 15, 2012

• One of my cats was like that at that age. So I ended up putting her in a harness and leash and let her got out in the back yard and explore a little. We did that a few times and she lost interest in going outside. You might try this and just see if it curbs her desire to go outside.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2012

• I would consider that pretty normal behaviour for a cat. Is there any particular reason that you don't want her going out?
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 12:06 PM on Oct. 15, 2012

• Meooma just so you know being indoors only does not protect cats from getting fleas. We can bring them in on our shoes or clothes and then they jump on the cat.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2012

• My cat likes to be outside too. She lives in my barn. My other cats like being inside but Phoebe prefers the company of the horses. I catch her sleeping on my horse's back.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 12:41 AM on Oct. 19, 2012

• I think that you should get your kitten spaded in order to prevent the spraying. SInce cats generally go outside to eat grass majority of the time buy some inexpensive grass that your cat would enjoy. And a space to keep her happy with fun toys and acrobats. It would give her that outdoor feeling.
    kewi86

Answer by kewi86 at 6:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2012

• That should be "DO" not "TO". Lack of sleep. :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:46 AM on Oct. 15, 2012

• We don't have a "cat perch," but she definitely has access to windows around the house where she can sit/lay and look outside.

I can try spraying her with water...thanks!
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 10:24 AM on Oct. 15, 2012

• Meooma...Rehoming is not an option for us. We are her forever family. I'm not saying it is not true for some, but that has not been our experience. It actually seems to be more of the opposite for us. The cats who were born in nice warm comfy people homes want out and the cats who were born outdoors with no people around want in.

Winterflow...The reason is that she is an inside cat. Plus she is still a kitten and wouldn't be able to take care of herself if she were confronted by anything that might want to harm/eat her. Not only are the raccoons always up on our porch munching on the cat food of the outside cats, we have a fox den not far from our house, and we have seen (and definitely heard) coyotes in the area...not to mention dogs or any other cat that might not be friendly toward her.

I like the taking outside on a leash idea!!!
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2012