What would your punishment be?

So I get a call today that my son has been told repeatedly to stop talking in class. He missed morning and lunch recess and had to call me to explain what happened. He has done this before, not to this extent though. He had complained that one of his tablemates was causing the problem so he was moved. However, now he is blaming it on different child he is now sitting near. Both children got in trouble to the same degree. They both missed the same recess and had to call their mothers. I am wondering what you would do to help enforce positive behavior at school and to discourage negative behavior at school?

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:44 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daugther has been getting in trouble for being too social. This disrupts the class. We actually DO care that she is disruptiing the class and not following the rules. Children need to follow rules and respect authority. So, each day she comes home (6 years old) from talking in class, she gets something takien away. This worked like a charm after 2 weeks. Now, the teacher is very pleased with her and happy with parents that took charge and helped. The school is not responsible for teaching your children respect. you are.
    pattigioeli

Answer by pattigioeli at 10:02 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• LOL I might not be the best giving advice for this- I was the one in trouble for talking in class. BUT I made really good grades so my mom really didn't worry about it. If he gets recess taken away for talking, take away fun time in the evenings too. Once he realizes he isn't getting to play very much he might start doing better
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 6:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• if it is a problem or becomes a problem i myself would visit the principle with your child so that both you and the principle can talk to him.

maybe the principle can help out with behavior problems.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 6:47 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• We have conferences at class on Thursday actually, and we did request to meet with him. Hopefully I can find something in the interim.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I would ask your son about what he perceives as happening at school with this talking and whether there is anything he would like to talk about. Don't directly accuse him or make him feel like you are against him.

Punishment is seriuously bad.
    Anonymous

• i was one of those who talked during class, all the time!! but by the third grade, i finally got swats for it. it sucked cuz i was always teachers pet. i stopped talking, but it went to the other extreme. i was finally just seperated from everyone in class, had to sit next to the teacher. byt the fifth grade, i was okay, could talk but without the getting in trouble...just hang in there, explain that there are times for talking, times for quiet time, when he needs to listen to the teacher....other that this, i have no idea...just be glad he's talking, not mute....my son has a friend who says 5 words a day, literally.
    love.life

Answer by love.life at 7:01 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I have a similiar problem with my almost 6 yr old granddaughter..constantly in trouble for chatterboxing when she should be doing something else. We started a behavior chart at home...part of it includes her day at school. Happy face/no bad reports she gets a sticker and 30 mins tv or computer time. Bad report.. no sticker, no tv/computer and she write a note saying why she was talking. When she gets 25 stickers she has a choice opf three special things to do. (specific to each child) This has worked pretty effectively so far. The teacher is aware and will sometimes remind her gently at school.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:01 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• he talking not fighting, who cares!!.. he is a child,let him talk, and let the school deal with there punishment.. he is just a kid!!
    three-for-now

Answer by three-for-now at 9:52 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I disagree that punishment is bad, it's a key to how we learn and why we put people in PRISON, thank God. The not dealing with the behavior leaves it up to the teacher to cope with and other students to cope with. People need to take responsibility for their kids and not pretend they'll work it out on their own. A kid needs direction. That said, talking in class isn't that bad, I agree with the chat with the principal.
    Anonymous

• I would ask the school if they could set him at his desk in the front of the room (away from everyone but the teacher) or have him eat lunch alone in a classroom (supervised of course) for a couple of days. See if that changes his tune.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Feb. 10, 2009