Lactose intolerant???

My 13 month old son was on Similac sensitive til he was a year old. I weaned him off formula totally by Dec. 30th. On Friday January 23rd he came down with the flu..diarrhea and vomiting. Finally on Tues 26th it seemed like he was getting over it. The rest of our family got the flu Mon and had it for 24 hours but not the diarrhea part. Then Thursday 28th he was back to it. Took him to the ER and they said he is alot smaller and can't get over it as fast as we can. So Friday again he seemed alot better. Slowly through the week the diarrhea started back up again. His diarrhea is a pale yellow creamy liquid consistancy, he is on the most part either a a little fussy or just wants to be cuddled (which isn't like him). So today I started researching it myself since I wasn't getting answers from doc and it looks like it could be lactose intolerance. My question is would it take a few weeks to a month for the intolerance to show up

breashaymommy

Asked by breashaymommy at 7:01 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Had you introduced dairy products before his first birthday such as yogurt and cheese?
    How quickly did you transition from formula to milk?
    One of my twins has a dairy allergy which we discovered when we tried to introduce yogurt at 9 mos. and again at 11mos.
    They drink soy instead of cows milk. We transitioned one ounce at a time. I'd like to tell you more but my twins are screaming. Send me a PM.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 7:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• my daughter is lactose intolerant. she was on the speical formula for it as well. when we gave her reg milk she would have diarrhea that looked almost like cottage cheese. i then switched her to the lacto free milk and i dont have any problems. i am not sure what a time frame might be like in your situation but it wouldnt hurt to try him on the lacto free milk and see if it changes anything. oh and my daughter can eat cheese and ice cream and all that with out it upseting her stomach its just the milk. my grandmother was the same way and i dont understand it.
    tatankc0787

Answer by tatankc0787 at 7:19 PM on Feb. 9, 2009