Will or did your children get the HPV Shot? My daughter did not. I just wonder about the safety of this vaccine. I would rather wait and see if there are long term effects.

HPV vaccine doesn't spur teen sex, study finds

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/12/14400495-hpv-vaccine-doesnt-spur-teen-sex-study-finds?lite

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 11:50 AM on Oct. 15, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• Nope, there are already stories about it causing problems, it doesn't protect against all strains but will just give a false sense of security, and I want to see long term studies.

Answer by missanc at 12:12 PM on Oct. 15, 2012

• My DD will NOT be getting it. If she wants to get it when she's 18 then fine but i will never get for her. I did all my research on it. As I always say if I wont get it for myself I will not make my kids get it.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:51 AM on Oct. 15, 2012

• Sorry I can't seem to get all my thought down in one post :)

Just want to say that as a teenager I did not appreciate the risk that sex could potentially cause to my body. When you're a kid you just don't understand how valuable your health is. I plan on showing my kids exactly what STDs are. What they look like and how they will effect your body and your life. A penis is not much different than a used needle. I think that's the big challenge when teaching kids about sex, getting them to understand how 'life changing' a moment of pleasure can be.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:40 PM on Oct. 15, 2012

• They're trying to push it for boys now, too. He will not be getting it. I have no interest in playing russian roulette with my child and possible future grandchildren via a vaccine that hasn't been around long enough to know what impact it has long term.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:27 PM on Oct. 15, 2012

• My SD started the vaccines in England where she's lived till last Feb. When she moved in with us I had her finish out the series since it was already started. In the UK she got vaxed at school, here she got it at the pediatrician.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:55 AM on Oct. 15, 2012

• Never.
    SaraD1989

Answer by SaraD1989 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 15, 2012

• I'm all for the vaccine. HPV is the most common STD and a known catalyst for cervical cancer. My DD's are 2 & 4 so I have some time to see how the vaccine does. I didn't read the article but I don't see how or why we would expect the vaccine to curb teen sex.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:58 AM on Oct. 15, 2012

• My oldest dd (now 18) refused to get it. Two people she knows (one a good friend) had seizures in the office just after getting the vaccine. It doesn't protect against all strains of HPV from what I understand, and I just think the risks far outweigh any potential benefit. My other dd is considering it, but I want her to do more research on it before she decides. She knows my feelings about it, and why I am hesitant about it.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2012

• My oldest is only 6 but, right now I'm leaning towards no.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:14 PM on Oct. 15, 2012

• I'm also waiting on more information. DD is only 5, so I won't make the decision now.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:14 PM on Oct. 15, 2012