Do you think she is to young?

My daughter is almost 3 and she really really enjoys dancing and flipping and things of this nature. I have looked in my area for dance classes, but they only start at 4 and 5.. the one 2 year old class that I found- seemed so babyish and she was so bored! She wouldnt listen to the teacher and she would just run around because all they were doing was talking about toes and streching! I did find an academy that starts out at 3 years old, but it is competitive cheer leading (because again, all the other cheerleading places start out at age 4 or 5.) Do you think she is to young to put in a class like this? The place is GREAT and it has won many of chamionships and has performed at football games for the NFL halftime and things like this? I just dont want to be "one of those moms" who people think push her kids into doing things. They do offer a free try out class that I am going to take her to and see how she likes it.

-Mandi

okiedokie_worm

Asked by okiedokie_worm at 7:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• I dont think sooo but yeah if they havea age requirement then i guess you have to wait
    Naralie

Answer by Naralie at 7:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• What about gymnastics? Something like My Gym or Little Gym? Do you have either of those in the area? I think that s just odd. We have so many options for 3 years olds around here. Even the dance studio where my son takes Tae Kwon Do has a 3-4 year old class...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• honestly, if you have to try out to join the class at that age, I don't think that's a good choice. You should really start them in a "for fun" class that everyone can join, not start off teaching them that it's a competition. but that's just my opinion

just wait a year and enroll her in the real classes.

I used to teach the 4-5 year old ballet class.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 7:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• TBH, if she is bored with toes and stretching, she needs to wait. They chose 4-5 because they can easily gear a curriculum to this age level.

If you really want advice, try finding a music class geared toward her age group. I am sure with programs like Kindermusic out there, you will be able to find something. This will help her learn to appreciate music, understand rhythm and will keep her interest for much longer. You might also want to check with your local gymnastic centers. Many of these have a parent and child time for the little ones to come in and flip around without a class.
    yakara77

Answer by yakara77 at 7:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• No she isn't too young. If she likes it why not encourage her. You might want to try gymnastics as an option as well. Yes I'm biased towards gymnastics because my DD is in it. The moves are basically similar but she would learn how to flip, use the aparatus bars and cart wheels. My DD loves it. I hope your daughter has fun with whatever you put her in.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 7:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I don't think it is too young at all. You're never too young to have good exercise, learn a skill, gain concepts of competition and practice working with others as a team. If it looks like they're too intense or she's not having fun, pull her out.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I'd say gymnastics or dance. Too bad there isn't a dance class for her age. Have you tried gymnastics? See how she likes the free sample class. Especially if there are other children her skill and attention level, it may work out. You don't want her to be in too hard or cut-throat a class since that would discourage her. I hope she develops her dream. :)

Answer by Bmat at 7:51 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I think anything competitive based is too young at this age. She would be best served in a class that focuses on body control - creative movement, dance or gymnastics - something that helps her fine tune her gross motor control but allows the focus to be on fun. I was fortunate to get my son into a creative movements class in his preschool at 2 1/2 and now he's graduated to the ballet/tumbling class. He loves it, but the teachers are also very good about keeping it fun and developmentally appropriate.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 8:09 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• If you feel good about it then that is all that matters. That and if she is happy and it is a stress relief and not stressful.
    Anonymous

• Thank you all for your advice. I have looked into gymnastics because my cousin is a gymnastics coach. They have mommy and me tumbling classes, my problem is I am pregnant right now and due anyday with a new baby! So I can't exactly put her in these mommy and me classes because I have to be there. I am trying to wait until I have the baby, but I am enrolling her into gymnastics and see how she likes it before I enroll her into cheerleading.
    okiedokie_worm

Answer by okiedokie_worm at 9:43 PM on Feb. 9, 2009