breastfeeding questions

First off- I have breast fed my two girls, the first for about the first year, the second only for 7 weeks because I had to go back to work. Both were supplemented with formula when I was away. I am pregnant with my third and will be able to stay home most of the time, I will be gone three days a week for approx 4-5 hours each time (I have the most awesome job )

I have never tried storing milk and I was wondering about freezing it, how do you know it's still good? what's the best way? what is the best pump, that is not outrageously expensive...

and have you seen the breast petal things at Motherhood stores? they look like rubbery silicon and supposedly stop the breasts from leaking?

any info and perhaps an experienced full time breastfeeder as a friend on here would be nice...

LuckyClown

Asked by LuckyClown at 7:43 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, you'll know if the milk is bad. It freaking stinks when it's gone bad. Yuck! Makes me wanna throw up just thinking about it. If it's good, it will most likely smell like nothing. It can last for about 8 days in the fridge and about 6 months in the freezer.

I've never used the breastpads your talking about, so I dont know about that. At first I used disposables because they held more than the washables, but now I use just cotton nursing pads. I actually got them at motherhood I think, their organic.

With working only 4-5 hours at a time you can really get by without having to give formula. Stay away from that stuff, it's really no good! Medela makes the best pumps, I got mine covered on insurance so I didnt have to pay much for it, but look around and you'll be able to find yourself a good deal. Keep in mind once you start pumping, it's never an indicator of supply. You'll most likely always be producing more than your
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:08 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• OOook....I am a full time breast-feeder and I work full time too so I think I can help ya!! Your best bet is to get in contact with WIC or your local hosptal where you can rent a high-quality pump, rather than buying one. I have a Medela Lactina Select and it's awesome! Talk to your employer about pumping at work -I know it can seem awkward but hey, its for your baby!- and most states have laws that mandate they allow you time and space to do it. There are bags designed specially for breastmilk....Gerber makes some, The First Years, and my favorite are Lansinoh. WIC can also get you a ton of info on freezing, storing, etc. But breastmilk will stay good in the fridge for 5-7 days and in the freezer for 6-12 months. I never had the petal things...I just used Lansinoh pads to absorb anything that leaked out! Good luck and feel free to message me if you haveany more questions!
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 7:56 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• 4-5 hours isn't that long...you might be able to train your body to so that you don't have to pump at work. i.e. I always made the most milk first thing in the morning. So, I would pump and get 6-8 oz and still have enough left to give my daughter a full feeding a couple hours later. (i.e. Get up, pump, shower and get ready for work, feed your baby and then go to work. The amount you pumped might be enough to get you by until you get home). You'll have to see how it goes. Also, some women get engorged when their milk first comes in. If you encourage the heavy milk supply by pumping a lot, you might be able to get a stockpile in your freezer before you go back to work. You should ask your doctor about how long you can keep the milk for. From what I've read it is 48 hours in the fridge. 3 mo. in a regular freezer and 6 mo. in a deep freezer, but that might be a little conservative. Good for you for breast feeding!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:18 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I heard the petals can suppress your milk supply. I just use gerber's thin breathable breast pads. I had to use more heavy duty ones in the beginning when my milk would randomly let down (I think they were the curity brand?) I heard frozen milk is only good for 3 months and in the fridge it's good for 8 days. At least that's what the brochure said that came with my pump.

I looked in to renting a pump and if you plan on nursing for more than 3 months it's cheaper to buy...even the expensive ones. Just think of all the money you'll be saving on formula! I use the Ameda breast pump. It was $220. If you will be pumping more than 2-3 times a week it's really worth it to get a nice ones, your boobs will thank you later.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 9:31 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I'd just nurse on demand and have a single electric pump for work. I got a medela one for like $75. Your work schedule won't have you pumping much. Go to medela.com for storage instructions. A doctor can't help you. The majority is breastfeeding ignorant.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:25 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• cont....

able to pump.

Anyways, i'm a full-time breastfeeder, so if you need support or a friend or whatever, feel free to PM me :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:09 AM on Feb. 10, 2009