Is it just me or is anyone else tired of hearing "there's a virus going around"

Okay, I don't my kids in for every little sniffle, bump, or bruise, but when I take them to the doctor I am really concerned. Every time I take my kids in, the doctor just says there's something going around. Every doc I've been to says this to me. Well, then I'm at the ER at three in the morning because they are so miserable and sick I can't just leave it. I don't want to feel this way, but I get the drift that it's a brush off because they are too busy. I'm tired of going back again to get meds that should have been given the first time. I have to pay a copay everytime they tell me it's nothing. I can't seem to find a doctor that will just handle it right the first time!

Steff107

Asked by Steff107 at 7:54 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I get what you're saying but the fact is..it is cold and flu season. Virus abound this time of year. Antibiotics do nothing for virus'. A virus must just run it's course. You treat symptomatically to keep them comfortable but there isn't much else the Doctors can do either.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:57 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I hate that too. Both of my sons are sick right now. My 4 yo started getting the fever (102) Thursday. By Friday afternoon it was up to 105. I took him in. They did the flu test and it was negative. The only thing that she could tell me was that it was a virus. Okay, my kids have been known to get a virus, but it's now Monday night, he's still running fever and has developed a cough with it. That's all though. I don't want to have to pay another copay either. His chest sounds clear, no phlegm when he's coughing. Just a dry cough. My 2 yo started with the fever yesterday. Meds are controlling it better than they have with my older son. I know viruses effect each child differently though and he's looking like he's feeling better already. I too am not one to just run to the doc for every sniffle, but I got concerned with the 105 fever. It's just a virus going around! LOL.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 8:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• But see, they tell you to bring them in if they have a fever more than 101 so I do it and it's just something going around. And if there's nothing I can do, why is it they give me meds the second time around. AHHh I don't know, I'm just frustrated.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:05 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Thats why they call it medical practice, it is really a guessing game. So many illnesses mimic each other, and to Dx a common cold is expensive, to run tests that are not needed is expensive, so Dr.s test for the most comman and if it comes back neg. they call it a virus, antibiotic do nothing for them and a common cold or stomach flu just has to run its course...Moms all we can do in that case is treat what the kids feel at that time example fever, runny nose, cough, but if it lasts or gets worse it can turn into an infection...Yeah it does suck either way
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• i know how you feel and i dont run everyone to the doc i know it will run its corse and i keep an eye and mental log on everything. but last time my son got a fever he had a seizor(sp) and me and dh freaked. he was only 1 1/2. now when he starts to get sick im up his butt. because they said it can happen again. but i hate paying a copay just to hear they will be fine something is going around. rest. i know rest but when it gets worse i worry and call.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:47 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• chances are it is just a virus and there's nothing you can do. Just watch to see if it gets worse and becomes an infection.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• well ther'es a virus going around. I'm sorry I couldn't help myself. : )

seriously though if one is in your area it's going to have to run it's course. You can treat a viruses symptoms to feel alittle better but you really can't treat one. And yes a doctor will say those exact words you don't want to hear. Hope you feel better soon.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:12 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I've never heard to bring kids in for a fever of 101. Young babies, yes. Kids, no. As long as the fever is under 102.5, then you don't need to treat a fever in a child over 18 months. If the fever gets above 102.5, then you can treat the fever. If the fever gets above 103 for 3 days in a row - even if it comes down with meds each time - THEN you go to the doctor. If it gets above 104, then you go to the doctor.
    And you know the super bugs like MRSA that are creating such problems? They were caused in part by doctors giving meds to make parents go away. There is NOTHING for a cold or other virus. But many doctors will still give pushy parents drugs just to shut them up and make them happy. So if your doctor or the ER is giving you antibiotics, ask them what bug the child tested postivie for. Giving your child antibiotics when they aren't needed puts your child's life at risk both now and in the years to come.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:05 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• He had pinkeye, i knew he needed antiobiotics, had to insist. Of course, i give him the meds....gone in three days! Fever, still working on though. Got up to 103 last night but he's eating this morning. Kind of scary.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:34 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I never heard of pink eye causing fevers....
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 12:39 PM on Feb. 10, 2009