What age does a little Girl usually start her period?

I was ten Years old when I started. I was mortified I did not tell my mother for almost 1 year. You can imagine the things I had to do just to prevent from messing up my clothes. I did not want to grow up i was still playing with barbies ahhh the good life!lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I started when I was 10 also, I told my mom and she said congratulations you are now a young lady let's go to the store and buy you some mini pads. I was happy and excited.

Even though she talked to me about this I am glad she did I was prepared.   :)happy

Anonymous

• i was around 9 or 10 when i started having periods. i think it all depends on the child though.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:01 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I was 10, my mom was in the hospital and I had to go to my dad. Not fun ;-D.
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 8:03 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• It varies depending on the girl's background. African American and Latino girls tend to get earlier periods than Caucasian girls. The average age for the onset of menses in the U.S. is 12.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 8:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I was 9, most of the other girls I remember didn't start until they were 12 or 13
    Anonymous

• :responding to anon 7:02pm

First of all I am a concerned mother with a little girl? you are sick for even thinking of this question in that way! Idiot
    Anonymous

• I was 12- I felt like that was early, I don't think any of my friends had started yet
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 8:11 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• but thank you to all they other mothers who answered logically!
    Anonymous

• my little sister turned 12 in nov. and she started hers lastnight.. poor girl..She didn't want to tell our mom so she told her little sister and sh told mom for her ...I was just like you, I never told, would have been so much better if i would have.. but finally my mom started buying pads and noticed i used them..
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 8:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• There was a new study that said that girls tend to start around 100 lbs. I think it's been pretty accurate. I am sure ethnicity has a little to do with it, but children are also gaining weight easier these days, so they are developing younger.

I was 12 and a half when I started mine. My sister was a little younger, and she weighed more than me. My best friend started almost a year before me, she also was pudgier.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2009