Do you talk to your kids about your political views?

SOOO. . .
My nine year old came home from school today talking about how Obama is doing a great job because of all the jobs he's creating. . . (the fourth grade version of the current stimulus package)
I guess I didn't notice it when Bush was in office, because I agreed with a lot of his decisions, but has anyone else noticed that schools are teaching that our government is PERFECT?

After a little economics lesson involving a crayon factory and some exploding mortgages, I explained to her what Obama's plan entailed and asked her to draw her own conclusion.

This really scares me.
Do you tell your kids what you believe and educate them to form their own opinions?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 8:08 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My husband and I are active in politics as are most of our friends. They hear a variety of views and are exposed to diverse ideas and views. I encourage my children to come to us with questions and together we will research and find answers they feel comfortable with to their questions.  It's mainly my oldest, but my goal is for her to feel comfortable coming to me with questions, even if it isn't the same view as mine or my husband's.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:52 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I don't give him opinions, but he's 5 - about all they covered in kindy was "this guy is Barack Obama and this guy is John McCain and they both want to be president." I don't intend to give him opinions, but I do plan to show him how to find both sides of the story, and not listen to the Daily Kos or Rush Limbaugh to get his opinions made for him.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:11 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My son isn't old enough to care but my parents did do this with me. They taught me the point of view that they thought was correct but allowed me to have my own opinions even if I didn't agree with what they said. They'd simply inquire why I thought the way that I thought. Sometimes, I was able to get them to see a different side of an issue and sometimes I realised that I hadn't fully thought through an issue before coming to a decision. Kids are able to understand some amazing concepts. There are too many adults out there who are unaware of how our government is run. If children want to start out young, knowing their rights, knowing the laws of the land and learning our culture, heritage and how the process works...more power to 'em!

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• The good thing about it is that they are learning how the govt works, getting into it anyway. My kids aren't in school but we do pray for Obama to change his heart on abortion.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• This has been happening for decades. Teachers want to make things "relevant" so they include things kids may have heard at home or on the news. Like anyone else, the teacher can't help putting her own spin on it and like so many others, teachers won't have all the facts, just what they know or were taught themselves.
    An older, non-political example:
    The poem "Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost is all about death. Just ask nearly any English teacher. Why will they tell you this? Because that's what they were taught. Why were they taught that? Because once, years ago, Robert Frost got tired of people asking what the poem was about and he snapped that it was about death. He spent quite a lot of time trying to squash that rumor afterward - but it never worked. And thus, a mis-education is born.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:18 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• what makes you think her teacher gave her this information and not one of her fellow students?
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Heather, she said Mrs So and so says. . .
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:31 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I don't but I will when he is old enough to care or at min. understand.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Mine are too young; but as I'm always voicing my opinions I'm sure they're going to know well before we have any 'discussions'...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 8:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I don't involve my kids in politics, they are too young. My oldest son however has asked questions such as "what's the difference between Democrats and Republicans,?" which I kept the answer to as simple as possible. The school he goes to had their own elections, so the emphasis was on the whole process and not on the Obama vs. MCcain ordeal. When they are older, they can draw their own conclusions and decide what is right for them.
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 8:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2009