Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Az laws on adoption...

What are the laws on adopting kids in your care ( foster care) in arizona? My kids have only been in a foster home for a few weeks however the parents are already speaking adoption what are the laws surrounding this? Mind you my kids were only taken due to my landlord being negligent with the property and it being over run with roaches I was not beating them or any thing of the sort. CPS told me to move so I approached my landlord to break my lease for which he immediately evicted me now I am looking for a new place but it is not proving an easy task to find with so little money on hand and no help. Now I am worried I will lose my kids to this family who wants them over some thing that was beyond my control

Answer Question

Asked by hot-mama86 at 2:04 AM on Oct. 16, 2012 in Adoption

Level 26 (29,263 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • mto3821

    Answer by mto3821 at 4:21 AM on Oct. 16, 2012

    They may have resources and counseling for you to find a place to live.
    The landlord has a legal responsibility to keep the property up to code. A judge has to approve an eviction notice. What happened there? Did you attend the hearing for the eviction notice?

    Answer by adopteeme at 4:52 AM on Oct. 16, 2012

  • For Legal Assistance:
    Arizona State University College of Law, Clinical Program – Civil Justice Clinic, Tempe, AZ, 85287 (480) 965-6968
    Community Legal Services Maricopa County Central Office, P.O. Box 21538, 305 S. 2nd Ave., Phoenix, AZ, 85036 (602) 258-3434
    Maricopa County East Valley Office, 20 W. 1st St., Suite 101, Mesa, 85201 (480) 833-1442
    Mohave County—Kingman Office, 1720 Beverly, Suite A, Kingman, AZ 86401; (928) 753-1177
    Yavapai County—Prescott Office, 401 N. Mount Vernon, Prescot, AZ 86301; (928) 445-9240
    Yuma County—Yuma Office, 201 South 1st Avenue, Yuma, AZ 85364; (928) 782-7511
    Farmworker Program, P.O. Box 21538, 305. S. 2nd Ave., Phoenix, AZ 85036; (602) 258-3434
    Volunteer Lawyers Program, P.O. Box 21538, 305. S. 2nd Ave., Phoenix, AZ 85036; (602) 258- 3434
    Landlord/Tenant Counseling, 200 W. Washington St., 4th Floor, Phoenix, AZ, 85003, (602) 262-7210,

    Answer by adopteeme at 4:53 AM on Oct. 16, 2012

  • Make sure you attend all meetings and visits, otherwise the CPS people will think you are not serious about getting your kids back. Jump through all of their hoops. Take advantage of whatever help is available to find a new place to live. The family that has your kids has probably been hoping to build their family through adoption from foster care, but in this case it sounds like they have made a premature judgment. I know that I have found myself suddenly homeless when I was younger (before I had kids). It can happen to anyone. If what you described is the only reason, IMO that is not a good reason to permanently take your kids from you. Good luck.

    Answer by Iamgr8teful at 8:43 AM on Oct. 16, 2012

  • Adopte I was not notified before the court date of court so I did not go due to not knowing. Im requesting a new hearing to remove the eviction from my record

    Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Oct. 16, 2012

  • Good luck to you!!!

    Answer by isismoon3 at 6:36 PM on Oct. 21, 2012

  • In our State it takes a minimum of 6 months to terminate parents rights but normally is 18 months and then the parents can appeal this stretching it out to 2 years. You need to talk to your case worker and see if they can't help you find a new home. They should also tell you what else you might need to do. NO foster parent should EVER talk to birth parents about adopting their kids. This is a BIG NO NO! First goal of removing kids from their homes is supposed to be reunification, 2nd is family/close friend placement and finally adoption by foster family or another family. If this should continue I'd ask to talk to the children's GAL.

    Answer by baconbits at 4:54 PM on Oct. 29, 2012

  • wait if you are actively trying to get your life together they cannot terminate your rights. Call 211 and find out if there are any transitional housing programs, housing stabilization programs and apply right now today for section 8 housing. Get a spiral notebook and write down everything you do everyday and show it to the caseworker. Find out if there is a furniture bank and be sure you get plenty of furniture for the kids to move in with you. go to and fill out all the information to see what other assistance you qualify for. Also, ask 211 for the number of your legal clinic. Good luck to you.

    Answer by booklover545 at 4:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.