Is it it wrong to get married on Beltane?

Beltane holds special meaning for me but I've been told it's rather taboo to have your wedding day on it.

Is it really that big of a deal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Getting engaged on Beltain is traditional with the marriage taking place in June. It falls into the whole mythos of the Gods marriage, that you don't marry before they do. lol But it's a traditional that has fallan away in meaning for a long time. Is it bad to do so? I don't think so. People get married every day of the year and can have happy marriages too.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 8:58 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• What is Beltane? Never heard of it!
    Anonymous

• I don't think so.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 9:19 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• That's a new one for me.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• It should make the wedding even more special!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:47 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Beltane also known as May Eve, May Day, and Walpurgis Night, happens at the beginning of May. It celebrates the height of Spring and the flowering of life. The Goddess manifests as the May Queen and Flora. The God emerges as the May King and Jack in the Green. The danced Maypole represents Their unity, with the pole itself being the God and the ribbons that encompass it, the Goddess. Colors are the Rainbow spectrum. Beltane is a festival of flowers, fertility, sensuality, and delight.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:01 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• cont....

Prepare a May basket by filling it with flowers and goodwill and then give it to someone in need of healing and caring, such as a shut-in or elderly friend. Form a wreath of freshly picked flowers, wear it in your hair, and feel yourself radiating joy and beauty. Dress in bright colors. Dance the Maypole and feel yourself balancing the Divine Female and Male within. On May Eve, bless your garden in the old way by making love with your lover in it. Make a wish as you jump a bonfire or candle flame for good luck. Welcome in the May at dawn with singing and dancing.

In England May Day is a public holiday.  When we lived there we used to celebrate it all the time.

OK we celebrated down the pub but if I had know about making love in the garden......

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:02 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I do know it is a great night for making love!!!
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I'd do a Handfasting on Beltane, and then a wedding a Year and a Day later!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My Mom and Dad were married on May 1st. They were married for 34 years before my Mom passed. 34 happy years.
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 12:54 AM on Feb. 10, 2009