Is it normal for a 4yr old to not know there abc and numbers?

My niece is 4 and I have been trying to get her to learn her abc's and numbers.I even bought a really nice book for her and I to work in but she cant seem to get it??

selena32

Asked by selena32 at 7:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Make them all into songs. To be honest its not too normal BUT all children learn on different levels. The parents have to just keep working at it a lot Everyday! Now once she starts school the teacher will have better knowledge if something is wrong or just shes learning on her own time. Hope this helps!!
    TwistedMama27

Answer by TwistedMama27 at 7:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Of course it's normal. Kids learn at their own pace. You can encourage them by a lot of participation, but for the most part, kids will learn things when they're ready.
    Quoiky

Answer by Quoiky at 7:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• my daughter learned hers very earlier right before her 2 birthday, but i always sing them to her, in the car while were making breakfast while im brushing her hair, so it sorta stuck with her, and everything i give her i count, and when we r in the car i count cars and trees with her. But I dont think its too uncommon, my nephew is heading to KIndergraten and seems like he doesnt want too,

Get her small books with the alphabet or flash cars, i do that also
    Anonymous

• I agree with 'Quoiky'. I'm have been a kindergarten teacher for over 10 years now and I can tell you that it is normal. I don't know how or what you are using to teach her but, kids learn at their own pace and their own ways. As a teacher I can tell you that different methods work with different kids you just have to keep trying different approaches. I teach at a Montessori based school and we have our own method there. We have kids of all levels there, some are not even 2 1/2 and they can put the letter and sound together or even recognize sight words and there are others that are not there yet. The idea is to keep the child interested and involved that way they don't feel like they're being pushed or get stressed out. If you have any more Qs you can PM me. I hope this helps.
    Mom-I-am

Answer by Mom-I-am at 8:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• MY DAUGHTER THINKS SHE KNOWS THEM! but she doesnt. my daughter is four btw. and i noticed one day when she was singing her abc's that she wasnt actually singing her abc's! and then i learned that her 2 yr old cbrother could count and she can hardly count to three!!! how did i miss this? i have no clue. when i tried to sit her down and teach her she literaly told me "i will just learn it when i grow up" my daughter is smart, i dont know how this happened. my boys were counting and singing abc's at like two yrs old. i would like to think this was normal.
    hotmama83227

Answer by hotmama83227 at 8:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• It is in the normal range of course. My kids loved the LeapFrog DVD's. The LeapFrog Letter Factory was a huge hit with my kids and I think is the main way they both learned the letters.

Good luck
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 9:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

Good luck
    mom2queenie2004

• My second son didn't. He had absolutely zero interest. He was even in Head Start, and did his best to avoid them. He is six now, and just finished Kindergarten, and he is finally reading and writing. He's a little behind, but I think he's smart too, so perhaps they just develop at different rates?
    Hoomom

Answer by Hoomom at 2:29 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• No its not Normal! I have never met a 4 year old that did'nt know there ABC's and 123's. I agree with those that say kids learn at there own time, but come on now... its the parents! If the Parents spends more time with the kids and teaching them what they need to know, they will learn! My kids learned there ABC's and 123's when they were 13 - 15 months of age and they also knew the shapes and basic colors. That because I worked with them all the time. So sounds like the parents are slacking and not taking time out to teach this child. Its sad!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jun. 20, 2008