bath time, getting water in their ears?

I was told when my son was a new born to be very careful not to get water in his ears, well he is now 8 months old and I am still very careful, I was wondering when it is ok to dump a cup of water over his head and get a little in his ears.
Not the mean dump over his head but to rinse the shampoo off, with his head tilted back......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have being doing that since day one. How else can you rinse their hair out? For a few weeks, I have been taking baths with my dd, because it's just easier to bathe her that way and I can get clean too. I use the sprayer now and haven't had any problems. She loves getting sprayed!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I have been doing that since they were 2 months old.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 9:12 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Make a C shape with your hand and cup it over the right ear...dump water over your baby's head being careful to keep it to that side of the head. Then repeat with the other side. It helps keep the water out and you can still rinse.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:12 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My doctor told me to use one of those blue nose suckers to spray water in my daughters ears because she has a load of ear wax (seriously, we're talking candles here) I do about every other day. So I'm sure dumping water on an 8 mo's head is just fine.
    Anonymous

• We lay our DD in a shallow tub of water and water probably gets in her ears every night. she got to splashy for the baby tub and is not stable enough to sit in the big tub and to squirmy to hold in the shower. I think that it is okay as long as they are not submerged in the water for a long period of time. At this age their tubes are still kind of straight and water just drains right out anyways.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:36 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• WELL, I DO GET WATER IN MY BABIES EARS WHEN I WASH HIS HAIR, THIS IS KIND OF THE THING. SEE, IF YOU BREASTFEED, THE BABY'S IMMUNE SYSTEM IS STRONGER, SO HE IS LESS LIKELY TO GET AN EAR INFECTION, DOES NOT MEAN THEY WON'T GET ONE, JUST LESS LIKELY TO. I BF, SO WHEN I GET THE WATER IN THERE, AFTER THE BATH WHEN I'M DRYING HIM OFF, I TAKE THE TOWEL AND PUSH THE WATER OUT OF HIS EAR BY LITELY PRESSING ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE EAR, YOU KNOW, THE PART BY THE FACE TO THE LEFT OF THE LOBE WITH HIS HEAD STRAIGHT LOOKING RIGHT AT YOU SO THAT THE WATER DRAINS OUT. BUT IF I DIDN'T BF I WOULD BE MORE RELUCTANT TO LET WATER ANYWHERE NEAR HIS EARS. FROM HAVING THREE KIDS I KNOW THAT EARACHES ARE SO PAINFUL FOR THE LITTLE ONE. AND IF YOU DO BF AND THE CHILD GETS AN EAR INFECTION, JUST SQUIRT SOME IN THE BABY'S EAR, CLEARS IT RIGHT UP.
    mika0101

Answer by mika0101 at 10:01 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• You can also suction babys ears after a bath, but honestly I wouldn't freak out about getting water in there, just be mindful :)
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Since day one i've done that. He's never had a problem.
    srenee1988

Answer by srenee1988 at 1:42 AM on Feb. 10, 2009