Abortion...

You have two Catholic VP candidates, one saying he personally opposes abortion and one states he opposes all abortion except in the case of rape or incest.

Whose more correct from a religious point of view? Does life start at conception for all but those conceived in rape?

adnilm

Asked by adnilm at 10:40 AM on Oct. 16, 2012 in Religious Debate

• Whose more correct from a religious point of view?-
    religions differ, and so do those counted within said religion. idk what the official word is from the Pope, for Catholics...i tend to be a study-and-think-for-myself Christian, and don't live by what an elevated human says. no offense, but that's one of the reasons Catholicism is not for me.
    i cannot with good conscience say one is more correct..i'm pro-life, pro-free will..its not up to me to make decisions for someone else.

Does life start at conception for all but those conceived in rape?
    i think anyone who would state this is trying to remain 'open' for a voter's angle. life begins at the same point, no matter how it was conceived. to say abortion is ok is the instance of rape/incest is to teeter on one's pro-life stance..you're either hot or cold, scriptures say.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:51 AM on Oct. 16, 2012

• With you there isn't debate, there's whining and foot stamping and slinging insults when people don't agree with you and blow sunshine up your ass. Sorry but I've got better things to do with my time today then try to teach you, once again, that you are not the ruler of the universe, that people have different beliefs and you cannot dictate wheat those are, and that you just need to get over it. If I'm wrong and you actually manage to keep this "debate" constructive, then I'm wrong. But given your history I have my doubts. (Which is really sad because I tend to like your posts in other sections like JFF)
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 16, 2012

• Kristi, I just...I love you.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 10:49 AM on Oct. 16, 2012

• Pretty sure the Catholic church doesn't care if you were raped by uncle Jim Bob or not, life is life.

Also pretty sure that the Catholic church has nothing to do with my uterus, never has, nor will it ever.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 10:41 AM on Oct. 16, 2012

• From YOUR religious point of view? Well I'm sure you'll tell us and tell us we're wrong when we give our own opinions. So why bother to debate?

Frankly I feel the one that keeps his PERSONAL religious beliefs as PERSONAL and doesn't try to impose his religious beliefs on others is the more correct one, but I"m sure we'll all hear how wrong I am when your rants begin
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:42 AM on Oct. 16, 2012

• She did add something of value.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 10:51 AM on Oct. 16, 2012

• This is clearly a bait question.
    You are trying to get pro-choicers to "admit" that abortion is wrong by stating that the Catholic Church's viewpoint would align with the idea that all abortions are wrong.

But, I'm not that dogmatic. The world to me is not black & white and, neither is abortion. So, my viewpoints do not have to align with the church's. Nor do anyone else's, for that matter. So, I agree with the VP who believes it's okay in rape situations. And, I don't care if that's the "correct" choice according to the Catholic Church.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:58 AM on Oct. 16, 2012

• Well... I guess it depends on which religion. If you are speaking strictly from a Catholic POV, then it's likely that the one who opposes abortion except in cases of rape would be considered wrong.

However, many other religions believe in the sanctity of life, but they also don't believe in forcing all people to adhere to those beliefs. Personally, I don't understand why politicians focus so much on this aspect of abortion. If both pro-life and pro-choice groups worked together to change our culture instead, we wouldn't have to debate this at all. Change things with education so that both men and women value themselves and their bodies and don't go around screwing everything that moves, creating unwanted children. It won't completely solve the abortion "problem" but it certainly would help.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:26 AM on Oct. 16, 2012

• Yes, they are connected to the issue, but it should pertain only to them. Your god is not my god, and there is no room for your god in my womb, so...

Also, there's this beautiful 'freedom of religion' thing in this country. If Roe V. Wade is overturned (which is closer than y'all think) we're basically shitting all over freedom of religion.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 11:11 AM on Oct. 16, 2012

• Because we're making laws based on religion and religious beliefs when we should never, ever, EVER do that in this country.

FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 11:35 AM on Oct. 16, 2012