concerned

My pedi says my daughter developmentally is on task..however i mentioned to her that she does not respond to her name a lot of the time only sometimes..she is 8 half months old now..she also doesnt always make eye contact when i speak to her...could this mean anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• im not sure-make sure you pay attention to stuff like that and if there is anything that you are concerned about KEEP BRINGING IT UP TO YOUR DR! dont let them ignore your concerns. good luck momma! :D
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:45 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Could she have hearing issues? Maybe she just isnt hearing you speak to her, get a hearing test before anything else. Does hearing loss run your family? What about other developmental issues?
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 8:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Go to http://www.firstsigns.org/  there you will find information on early sceening for babies and toddlers.  There you will find a list of "red flags" to watch for in your baby, you can go directly at http://www.firstsigns.org/concerns/flags.htm

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:52 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I would make an appt to specifically bring this issues up to your dr. Not at a check up. Then go over your concerns in detail. If she still doesn't want to listen or to help make you feel less concerned about the issues seek another dr for a second opinion. This is YOUR child and you need to do what is best for her.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:19 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Def. stay up on that, BUT, at that age, my daughter never responded to her name either, lol.

So, it could be nothing, could be something. If you are worried about things like Autism, it's hard to get a doctor to take you serious before the age of 1 1/2 - 2, but just keep pressing the issue if you think there is an abnormality.

good luck hun.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I wouldnt worry so much.She obviously knows her name,Maybe she is just ignoring mama! Just keep showing her.I hate all this worry with autism.It scares me half to death!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My son knows his name...half the time he's too distracted, and he plays a game, where he looks at ANYBODY but the person holding him. :) I thought my son had hearing issues, because he didn't always respond to noises, and had him retested, and he was fine. But if you're worried, it's better to be safe than sorry. :)
    srenee1988

Answer by srenee1988 at 1:41 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I was born nearly deaf and my mom always thought I was ignoring her and by the time I was like two years old she realized that I was reading everybodys lips......just saying it is a possibility that theres something up with his hearing.....wont hurt to get a simple hearing test and rule it out at least, good luck :)
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 8:53 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Thankyou all.....she is very social child and does make good eye contact most of the time...but doesnt seem to respond to her name lot too.... and when she does it takes her a few moments sometimes to find where i am in the room. I would like to have her hearing tested again ...i will call my pedi and make an appt. Do they do that there?
    Anonymous