Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ok ladies I need some help please!

well 5 months ago I left my abusive & cheating husband we were married for 12 yrs...we have 3 kids together well now I'm new a new relationship with a great guy I dont know where my husband is i just want my divorce is there a way i can get the divorce wit out him signing papers and what will it cost me any info will help thank you ladies!!

Answer Question

Asked by rissa1789 at 8:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Relationships

Level 5 (62 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • As far as I know he will have to sign in order for the divorce to be final. Good for you for leaving him and finding yourself a wonderful man!!!!

    Answer by MyMayBaby_Chloe at 8:52 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

  • i think there is a way but im not possitive. i think you run an ad in the local paper for a certain amount of time ( i wanna say 2 weeks). you would have to check with an attorney or something for details and make sure im right. im sorry i couldnt give more info or if im mistaken on the info i gave. but i hope it helps

    Answer by SThompson21 at 8:56 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

  • SThompson21 is correct... if they can not find him they will place an ad in the paper. If he does not respond it will go into default

    Answer by ZaTa at 9:06 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

  • I have heard exactly what the 2 pp said. I would do that after contacting an attorney and just get it over with. Good Luck!!!

    Answer by coala at 9:09 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

  • You left him 5 months ago and you already have a boyfriend? The children really need you right now considering their home was just ripped apart. You should really reconsider dating for quite some time

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

  • I agree with Anonymous... don't bring another man into your life... not yet. Not just for your kids but for yourself.... based on my own experience... it is an awesome feeling you will get when you see how strong you are...although it is hard... that you can make it on your own without a man to depend on. It will teach your children, especially daughters, how to be strong! My sister wants to leave but she keeps depending on others instead of just going...she will never find her strength as long as she holds on to another man for security... and as for divorce... I have heard about the newspaper add as well... good luck in your new life.... stay free, you will enjoy life so much more... value your freedom and independence... don't give it up so quickly!

    Answer by naturescape at 9:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

  • I dunno I have heard if you say you dont know where he is you can get a divorce without his signature.and to the anon who responded about dating after leaving your ex after only 5 mos,have you ever been in an abusive relationship? if not dont judge,if you have been with someone who treats you like crap when you do get free and find someone who treats you like a human again you dont think of the time you think of how good it feels to feel loved.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

  • He does NOT have to sign for you to be divorced. As mentioned above, they will try to find him and if he doesn't respond to ( so many) notices/contacts then it will be dissolved and it will basically be a "non contest" divorce.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.