Party themes?

My dd is turning 3 soon. Thing is, I am the worst hostess and party-giver. I just don't know what to do but I want it to be special, you know? And we dont have a lot of money to work with. I thought about a princess type party, but then what would the boys do (she has a lot of friends who are boys)?

What kind of themes have yall done?

My son's 1st was Elmo, then Bob the Builder and Diego. My dd's was farm, and her 2nd bday was really without a theme, just did disney (mickey, donald) characters on the cake...

TXdanielly

Asked by TXdanielly at 9:09 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'm sorry about the first commentors rude remarks. I see why she would want her identity hidden, she's obviously a mean spirited person.
    Of course you want to have a party for your daughter's 3rd birthday, and that can be done on a small budget.
    Some cool themes that I've seen for kids parties that I've liked are polk-a-dot theme and garden theme. I think they're both a lot of fun.
    Check out this article. It has some advice for putting on a children's party on a budget http://www.essortment.com/family/childrenbirthda_sfzm.htm
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 9:38 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Here is the deal: You state that you don't have alot of money to work with, correct. Then why are you so set on this birthday party? I am sure the kid wouldn't care what happened as long as they get a gift and maybe some cake. I think you are just wasting your money on nothing. Don't try to impress anyone else. Money is too scarse these days. If you don't have money, have a small party and don't invite guests that you have to feed.
    Anonymous

• the sports theme is great fun theme and u can get alot of different things a good prices good luck..
    rissa1789

Answer by rissa1789 at 9:16 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I was able to do a party for my daughter on very little money, I had a fairy theme I used craft supplies i already had at home and borrowed from friends and some just dontated supplies lol, we had fake flowers i used sheets that we dont use but were the right colors as table cloths, i had those ivy bowls and put water with candles (not lit) i had left over (some of the supplies i used were left over from my wedding) I also looked at 2nd hand shops for craft supplies, use your imagination. As for the boys honestly i have two boys then my baby girl and she has lots of boy friends and none of them have ever cared that we throw princess and fairy parties, it is just a theme afterall and boys are happy to have cake and balloons!
    You can print your own invites online for free and even print coloring pages for the kids as party prizes and this also allows you to pick both boy and girl coloring pages, get crayons at dollar store.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 9:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My sister in law had a princess and knights party. She bought "swords" and "shields" at the Dollar Tree. The girls wore crowns and "fancy" jewelry also from the Dollar Tree. Streamers and balloons really make a party come to life. Print out some Castle coloring pages and let them have at it with crayons, glitter, etc. You can rent movies for free at your local library - try to find a kiddie one related to your theme. Little Ceaser's Pizza is always a good, cheap go-to. Google "birthday party games" and you'll find lots of great ideas.
    Anonymous

• Another good idea is have a costume party, kids can wear their old halloween costumes and then you can go with a generic happy birth day and balloons theme, plus everyone gets more use out of their old costumes!
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 9:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• the boys could be little Prince's
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 9:29 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• To anonymous-
    My hubby has been unemployed since October and just got a job- out of state, so this is a big deal for me- to have a birthday party with my kids' friends, before we leave the state and all.

A party doesn't have to cost a lot, but I want to make it special. We are moving within a month and won't see my dd's cousins nor friends for a while...So it would be nice to have a memorable time together. Why I ask for help is I am clueless- When we have friends over just because, it's easy but to make it more for "her", I need to definately plan and make more of an effort so it's not just a regular get-together.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Great ideas so far, thanks!!!
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:14 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I wanted to say that we did a frog princess thing, and it ended up being just the 4 of us. We had a blast!
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 9:20 PM on May. 15, 2009