How do you feel about the new bill for giving reparations to African-Americans?

It has amazed me that so many people think Obama is going to "give them a check". There is an interesting youtube interview ---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI&feature=related

The bill is H.R. 40 Commission to Study Reparation Proposals for African-Americans Act
Here is a link to the bill http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.40:

I guess he is planning to give a bunch of checks.

My issues with this:

Why should I be held responsible for the actions of people long dead. I had a great great grandfather that fought for the Union in the civil war for goodness sakes!

How on earth are they going to sort out who is a slavery descendent and who isn't?

I am not a racist. However, I am sick and tired of those that won't try and help themselves. I come from a long line of hard workers that continue to pull themselves up. There has to come a point when we declare "the

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 9:25 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "According to Free the Slaves, more than 27 million individuals are enslaved throughout the world, with the majority in India and African countries. Human-trafficking is the modern-day slave trade. Free the Slaves estimates that at least 14,500 slaves are brought into the United States each year." would you rather get the money, while you roam free, or see that the people that are still enslaved become free? If you really want to help, then talk to your members on congress of using the money to help those in need, not those that have now succeeded!
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:29 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• oh goodness here we go, someone always has a problem with SOMETHING
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 9:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• If this is true it's a crock of crap! MY family didn't own slaves therefore MY tax dollars shouldn't give reparations. And who gets em? Everyone that is AA? What about Bi-racial? What about AA's who didn't come here until AFTER slavery had been abolished? Like I said...IF it's true it's a crock!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My sentiments exactly, here we go. Im AA and reparations will do nothing for the years that we have been oppressed the damage is done. And besides where is the merit to this claim, who would actually go along with this? Stop trying to start drama

Anonymous

• eye rolling

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• seriously, no living "African" American was a slave so why should they get money? especially MY money! My ancestors didn't even live here during slavery!

how are they going to determine who gets this money? do family trees of all blacks trying to see if they have slave ancestors?
    Anonymous

• Actually anonymous you are wrong. My great grandmother is alive and 103 years old. Guess what her dad WAS a slave. Direct descendant. Sooooooo yeah she should get some money as his last living relative
    sexy_with_5

Answer by sexy_with_5 at 9:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• We're too much of a melting pot for this. Many african - american's only recently immigrated, I myself am first generation american (poland) and my biomom JUST got her citizenship this YEAR!!! Why should I be responsible?

On a similar note, my white male appearing husband actually has indian heritage, is he exempt as well for what was done to his ancestors? We are too intertwined and reparations would be just another form of slavery.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 9:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I am not in favor of this bill and it has been brought up many times before. When slaves were freed, Abe Lincoln promised each man 40 acres and a mule. Now many years have passed and the mule has died. The 40 acres would have to be sliced and diced so many times that each descendent would be lucky to get a postage size piece of land. This is part of history that can never be undone nor removed from the books. This is the way it was back then. After a while this story gets old and is just a form of keeping racism alive.
    Anonymous

If this is your belief please contact the sponsors of this bill and tell them to put their time to better use. Here is the link http://www.congress.org/congressorg/issues/bills/?bill=12489961&size=full

Only YOU can choose to move on. I think the recent election shows that ANY African-American can rise to the very top.

There is NO DRAMA here! I listed the link where the actual legislation could be found on Congress.org. Don't take my word for it, check it out yourself.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:37 PM on Feb. 9, 2009