Democrats aren't real Catholics(and true believers in Christ)

A candidate for State Senate in Kansas believes that Catholics, and Christians more broadly, who support Democrats cannot be true believers in Christ. Republican Steve Fitzgerald, challenging incumbent Catholic Democrat Kelly Kultala, told the left-leaning Polish American Club that the Democratic Party had become un-Christian. When asked if he stood by his remarks by the Huffington Post, Fitzgeraldescalated:
My main point is that the Democratic platform and policies nationally are an attempt to redefine marriage in effect to say what Christ has said about marriage is a lie. Christ said marriage is between one man and one woman and the Democratic platform said that it’s not true. So therefore, my point was that one cannot support the Democratic platform and be a follower of Christ. …The contention that I said that one cannot be Catholic or Christian and a Democrat is not an unreasonable summation of what I actually said. My actual message was fix the party or leave.

Fitzgerald explicitly excommunicated his opponent, saying that “she calls herself a Catholic and I don’t know how she does that.” However, on the issues Fitzgerald cites, American Catholics are much more in line with Kultala than him: two-thirds support keeping abortion legal andthree-quarters favor either full marriage equality or civil unions, with a plurality supporting the former. Catholic theology on assisting the poor is also far more in line with Democratic policy priorities, which seek to sustain a strong social safety net, than Republican ones.

This isn’t the first controversial comment made by Fitzgerald, who has said that Obamacare has put “the American Republic…on the endangered species list.” But when asked about the controversy generated by his remarks on Catholic Democrats, Fitzgerald said that “I can’t believe this is getting attention.
************************************************************************
So, who is to judge who is a "real" catholic and/or christian, aside from their god?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 7:30 PM on Oct. 16, 2012 in Religious Debate

• scripture says that man looks (judges) on the outward appearance, while God looks at the heart.
    going by that, its self-explantory. humans will always judge each other, whether its religion-swayed or not.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:34 PM on Oct. 16, 2012

• How judgemental can he get? How does he know? Why does HE think he has the answers?
    And, as far as I am concerned, I really don't care.
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 7:50 PM on Oct. 16, 2012

• Well if it is up to people to "judge" then we don't have any "real" anythings. Just another example of how religion is SUBJECTIVE regardless of one's own personal beliefs on the matter.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:59 PM on Oct. 16, 2012

• Another example where religion needs to stay out of politics.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 8:05 PM on Oct. 16, 2012

• I think politics for the most part has become so divided, this statement doesn't surprise me. I don't agree with it, but it doesn't surprise me that people feel this way.

There are many things I take into consideration when I vote. I'm truly bipartisan, and I have a hard time listening to why I shouldn't vote for someone. I'd rather hear the reasons why I should vote for a particular candidate.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:36 PM on Oct. 16, 2012

• The church has some doctrinal issues that are, if broken, subject to immediate excommunication until that sin is confessed, repented of, and forgiven. Both sides of the political divide as a whole would make lousy Catholics. And precisely why I am having such a hard time with this election, from socially liberal issues that are scratch the surface society changing to Dickensian poverty measures. Many very conservative Catholics throw the baby out with the bath water on the abortion issue. Instead of looking at the big picture of the damage Draconian policies make on the people most likely to get abortions. And many liberal Catholics tend to overlook the potential ramifications of liberal social polices that have nothing to do with justice.
    OP, thank you for asking this question
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 9:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2012

• It always amuses me how it's always someone else who's "doing it wrong". This guy says the liberal Christians aren't real Christians. Others say the Klan aren't real Christians. The Klan says the Catholics and LDS aren't real Christians, and yet there's an entire zealous sect of Charismatic Catholicism that says everyone who isn't Charismatic Catholic isn't a real Christian. The evangelicals call out the LDS, the LDS call out the JW's, the JW's call out 99.999% of the population...

People in general seem to have a lot more personal data on what a Christian isn't than what a Christian is.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:57 PM on Oct. 16, 2012

• yeah...cause every stance of the GOP is in line with what Christ wanted.

the guys an idiot...but he's a politician so what else is new :)
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:59 PM on Oct. 16, 2012

• I know of no politician who should be considered a "real" Christian, so the guy's a hypocrite. Think about it... politicians are generally self serving, and that's about as far from being a "true" Christian as you can get. Whether an ordinary citizen, Democrat or Republican, votes along certain party lines makes them no less a Christian than the hypocrites they vote for, imo.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:06 PM on Oct. 16, 2012

• I know of no politician who should be considered a "real" Christian, so the guy's a hypocrite.

If you want to take that one step further, both parties insist they are interested in what's best for the people and society at large. Since politicians are generally narcissists, that also disqualifies them from being representative of their own parties, too.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:25 AM on Oct. 17, 2012