How do I get my 4 year old son to stop biting his nails?

I do not know how to get him to stop when I try to get him to and take his fingers out of his mouth he laughs at me even when he knows I am being serious... I was a nail biter when I was 10 and it lasted for a while but I did stop and was older so I was more mature So what can I do for my 4 year old?

n8nnickmom

Asked by n8nnickmom at 6:07 AM on Oct. 17, 2012 in General Parenting

• When you find out, let me know. I still do it at 38.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:31 AM on Oct. 17, 2012

• not much...my daughter finally quit a few months ago- she's 19 now
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:13 AM on Oct. 17, 2012

• My mother put vinegar on the tips of my fingers. It didn't work though, I would just sit and pick at them then instead of biting. Good luck!!
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 8:09 AM on Oct. 17, 2012

• I bribed my son. It worked, then he started again so I resorted to the same bribe as before (painting his toenails blue if he stopped biting fingernails). It worked again.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:26 AM on Oct. 17, 2012

• We broke our daughter with her fingers dipped in pickle juice. She HATED the taste of pickles so stopped pretty quickly.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:19 AM on Oct. 17, 2012

• Bribes, distraction, paint them with clear nailpolish. Good luck.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:51 AM on Oct. 17, 2012

• My mom used the vinegar thing and it worked, I know they also sell products that taste bad when you start to bite,, if he goes 1 day without it, take him to McDonalds,, 1 week a toy,, but you might have to start with the vinegar to make him remember.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:13 AM on Oct. 17, 2012