my son is 2 and wakes up screaming and crying during the night. he does this every night a minimum of 2 times and a max of 6. sometimes he's in a zone histerical and i have to sit him up and talk to him to get him to aknowledge me and sometimes he know mom and dad are right there and he still crys. he screams like something is scary or hurts but i can't figure it out. the dr.'s say it is not night terrors but can't give me and answer. can anyone help me please???? Whats going on with him??

he has sleep problems. he wakes up histerical.

gaesmom

Asked by gaesmom at 9:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why does dr. say its not night terrors? I have three kids and I can tell you that not everything is according to what doctors know. if he's acting fine during the day and eating normal for him, not running a temp, when you whisper in his ear he turns his head, isn't rubbing an ear or continuous body part day or night then he might not be a text book night terror in the doctor's eyes. It's scary I know. Try to stay calm just breathe slowly out while you comfort him and try to figure things out. Hope he's better soon for you mama!
    Anonymous

• I was gonna say the same thing as the last post. How does he know its not night terrors. My son has actually started doing pretty much the same thing.. he is about 18months old ..and was sleeping through the night and now every night I have to get up with him...and sometimes he wont go back to sleep unless I bring him in my bed... which I did not want to do... but it breaks my heart. I think it is probably just a phase...who knows this is my first child..I was starting to read up on night terrors a little. Heck Im 25 and sometimes I get scared at night still too! Good luck hun...just be patient with him..and comfort him is all I can suggest.
    just4today21

Answer by just4today21 at 9:48 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• This might sound odd but does he have a favorite thing he has to have all the time? my almost 2 year old will not go to bed without her blanket and if she goes to bed without it.. you can better believe i'm up within the next few hours with a kid screaming "where's my blanket!" does he still drink a bottle? did you try giving him like a warm bottle to calm him down? i understand the almost in a trance thing because my daughter is like that sometimes when she wakes up at night.. it takes forever (it seems) to actually wake her up and get her to see that i AM there in the room. maybe try reading him a story or play with something with him for a little bit when he wake up so he knows your not just trying to get him back to bed... and hey. maybe the mattress is too hard, my little one wouldn't sleep through the night until i got her a mattress that was softer. and then piled blankets on it to make it more soft. just suggestions...
    Tiamarie54

Answer by Tiamarie54 at 10:32 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I don't know hun. I know it is awful. I would just tell him 'shhh, close your eyes, mama is here, go back to sleep' and if he wants to talk about it, great but if not, let him forget it asap...and maybe get really strict about what he watches on tv for a while to see if that helps...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• My 16-month old son does this randomly, for a week stretch at a time or so, and I have finally associated it with teething... He wakes up in pain and it terrifies him, he needs to be rocked back to sleep. He screams and cries like something is chasing him, but I finally made the connection to his molars coming in... Maybe check his mouth out, see if he's got some lumps?
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 11:05 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Sounds like night terrors to me My dd had them from the moment she was born until she was 10 years old. i spoke to a psychologist about it and he said since it started @ birth it may have been due to stressful pregnancy. Since it seem like you son just started them maybe something happened to him. Nothing too concerning, maybe a bad fall or something or some scary image on a commercial (they seem to like to insert those into everyday TV) and it just shook him up. Kids are sensitive. There isn;t much you can do except make bedtime as pleasant as possible, so he is having good thoughts when he falls asleep. The psychologist also to watch her when she is old enough to walk b/c sometimes night terrors are associated w/ sleep walking and she could 'escape' from the house. Luckily, she has never done that.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 12:11 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My son (20) had these when he was a young child also. He outgrew them by about the age of 12. He, up until that time, slept with a favorite blanket. He would wake up, crying loudly, sometimes crying out, "MAMA"! I would go into his room with him & lie down next to him & gently tell him that mama was there & everything would be okay. To just go back to sleep. Sometimes this would work & other times, he would only sleep for a few mins. & then start crying again. I would still lie there with him until it all subsided. I never took him to the Dr. for this. He eventually grew out of it. The main thing is to be there for your child & console them. It is scary & I wish I understood them. It will eventually subside.
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 1:06 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I'm thinking ear infection.at that age my daughter would wake up screaming like that sometimes she wouldn't even open her eyes so I thought night terrors but it would always be ear infection(s) and they hurt worst at night.have the doctor see him.hope he gets better soon.
    momangel05

Answer by momangel05 at 1:27 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I have 18 month old girl who does similar episodes as you are dealing with. I know her incisor teeth are really close to coming through and they say it hurts worse at night. Or also; bad dreams do happen to all ages, I suffered terrible anxiety at night from as young as 2 or 3, yes, I remember but my mom had no clue I was so scared at night. I still am and i am 36 yrs old. Anxiety of not being close to you or primary caregiver is also a concern. They feel safest when we are close and are going through so many milestones that we don't realize that they panic when awakened at night where its quiet, dark and unfamiliar at times. I go in and reassure her even if it means picking her up for a short while. 2nd shift mom so I think she wants to know I am there for her and that helps a lot. its not every night but when shes insecure she tends to nibble on her nails already, just as i did early on. i comfort her and love her up.
    nikkio72

Answer by nikkio72 at 4:40 AM on Feb. 10, 2009