I can't sleep!

I have a hard time falling to sleep on my own. I will take a Benadryl sometimes just to be able to sleep. I have a 10 month old baby, so I am afraid to take sleeping pills, she sleeps with my hubby and I. I have had this problem for about 2 years. Will you give me some suggestions on ways to help me sleep. Thanks!

passionmom119

Asked by passionmom119 at 9:52 PM on Feb. 9, 2009 in Health

• Girl, I am with you there. My trouble is also falling asleep. However, Benedryl seemed to make me cranky the next day. I also tried Melatonin. I bought it at GNC. It seemed like I was asleep by the time my head hit the pillow. You might check that out. Start with the lowest doseage though because of the baby and all.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 9:54 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I will have to try Melatonin too. I have been taking tylenol pm's, sleep aids, nyquil for like 10 years. I have had a prescription before (Restoril) but that was the craziest stuff ever. It would completely wipe your memory out. And I would wake up with food in my hand. lol kinda funny but kinda not!
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 9:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I don't have the problem all the time, but when I do I find I take one tylenol (not tylenol-pm, which makes me wakeful) and sometimes an antacid- thinking that it could be heartburn or some ache that is keeping me up. Also don't have any caffeine at all- coffee, tea, soda, chocolate. Give it a month at least to get out of your system, and if that doesn't work also skip decaf coffee and tea since they also have some caffeine. Co- sleeping would keep me awake, so you may want to consider whether this is part of the problem, even though the problem started before your baby arrived. Yoga or a relaxation class or even practicing relaxation exercises might help. Breathe in slowly, hold, breathe out slowing, concentrate on your breath and on relaxing each part of your body from your feet up. This will calm your mind as well as relax your body.

Answer by Bmat at 10:02 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Great answers! I get cranky when I take that stuff too. I heard about Melatonin on a television talk show. I am going to give that a try. : )
    passionmom119

Answer by passionmom119 at 10:08 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Meditation?
    Anonymous

• drink a glass of wine. 1 glass:)
    mika0101

Answer by mika0101 at 10:09 PM on Feb. 10, 2009